Was it the right way to put it?

When we were little my mom and dad got divorced. When they did, she said: "Mommy and daddy don't love each other so daddy's leaving." My brother doesn't remember any of it, but now when we see our dad he says something else. If you got divorced and tried to explain it to a 6 and 7 year old child would you have put it that way? I have a feeling my mom did it's just my dad who isn't...

vannahbaby213

Asked by vannahbaby213 at 2:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• I wouldn't have put it that way...
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 2:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No, I told my kids who were 4, 5, and 7 that "mommy and daddy still love you, but have decided we are better off being friends than being married" They asked more about why as they got older and I told them that was between their dad and I.

Answer by missanc at 2:39 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• yeah i agree with cheekycherub.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Mommy and Daddy love you very much. We think a lot of each other, and that we are good people. We are just not good people together. We will always love you and that will never change, but we can be better parents to you if we live apart (If you tell an impressionable young six year old that love goes away, you are creating anxiety that one day a parent will stop loving them)
    hollydaze1974

Answer by hollydaze1974 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2011