Do you think venting makes you feel better?

When encountering stressful events in daily life, venting to a friend about them may not always be helpful, a new study concludes.

The results showed that when people with some traits of perfectionism faced daily setbacks, venting to a friend often made them feel less satisfied about their circumstances than before they talked about it.

"Venting is not an effective strategy for anyone trying to cope with daily stress, whether they have perfectionistic tendencies or not," said social psychologist Brad J. Bushman, who teaches at Ohio State University and has researched aggression and coping, but was not involved in this study. "Research clearly shows that venting increases rather than decreases stress."

I'm not so sure - sometimes it just feels good to holler about something every now and then ....

Asked by tasches at 2:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Relationships

• A man wrote these of these studies. Men don't tend to vent, they bottle & explode to cope... they also don't live as long as women. I do believe a certain amount of venting is healthy, especially if some thing constructive comes of it.

Answer by 1northwestmom at 2:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• i feel better when i vent, my friends offer support and help put things into perspective.

Answer by GypsyMoon605 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• i feel lot better when i vent, whether it is on here, facebook or even on phone call to a friend. IT makes me feel a lot better

Answer by at 2:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• it depends on who you are venting to really. If i talk it over with certain people, i feel so much better because they help me work it to a solution. Other people just fuel my fire.

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 2:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• For me it does help.

Answer by pookiekins34 at 2:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Me personally.

No.. Venting in no way makes me feel better or make things better.. Venting perpetuates the issues for me.. Venting has me wallowing in the issue and the feelings stemming from that issues.. Venting usually increase the emotions involved. So, in the end. Venting prevents me from being able to detach emotionally, look at whatever is going on logically, and help me approach the issue in a manner that handles the situation/issue effectively.

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• It always make ME feel better :)

Answer by orange4agua72 at 3:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• It helps me. Especially if I am venting to someone who can help me work through it,

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I like to vent. rant. and whine here on Cafe Mom because of the anonymity.

Answer by meooma at 2:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• oh yeah ,,, feels so much better lol ,,, me and my sister use eachother so no one is really affected by it ... and we are the same

Answer by barrerajuls at 4:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2011