For those with a full-time job outside the home, should we just be happy we are working?

Finding career happiness seems to be what everyone wants these days.

The shelves in bookstores are lined with books on how to find career happiness, and an endless stream of life coaches are trying to help workers attain it. Twitter is rife with advice and corny quotes about finding job joy.

But is happiness a wise career goal? There is growing evidence that our thirst to find happiness, especially during tough economic times, is actually bumming us out,

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43683917/ns/today-money/t/thirst-career-happiness-bumming-us-out/

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• Happiness could be found in the poorest of slums, in the dirtiest of back alleys, and in the darkest corners.

Our problem is not our thirst for happiness, it is expecting it to come from somewhere other than inside ourselves.

Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Happy...NO, especially if we wish we could retire. Thankful - YES, because we have a job and in some cases benefits.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 2:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I am happy that I have a job. I find immense satisfaction in my work.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No job is going to bring you 100% happiness all the time - people need to figure out that "Job Charming" is just as much a myth as "Prince Charming." Yes, I like my job, yes, I get great satisfaction and joy from working, but it's not perfect and never will be.
    Telephus44

Answer by Telephus44 at 4:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My husband has been looking for a job for a long long time. He gave up being picky months ago. Now its to the point if they will pay him to do it he will do it. I can't tell you how many times we have had to call our church and ask for diapers.
    Anonymous

• I'm HAPPY that I have a full time job!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I feel very fortunate to have the job that I have, I feel blessed that I enjoy it.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I love to work and this downtime is making me insane. I hate PCS moves!!!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2011