HELP! Ways to raise money for funeral!

I need any info on raising money. Please, and thanks so much!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• Ask for donations in lieu of flowers? I have never heard of anyone having a fundraiser for a funeral...
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My friends mom passed away yesterday. They had no plans made and so far none of the funeral homes will do a payment plan with them...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• A second job delivering pizzas, selling stuff, cutting back on the budget. Does her mom have anything she could sell? TVs, beds, anything?
    Anonymous

• Have a garage sale and ask for people to donate unwanted items. Put an ad in the newspaper. We had one locally abut 2 years ago?? I think they raised way more than they needed. They also did a raffle and asked businesses to donate things- like gift cards etc.

So sorry for your loss.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Did she have any kind of insurance that would funeral costs? My dad's cost around $3,000 for the bare minimum and cremation. I am so sorry for your loss. In her obituary, you could say that memorials to the family would be appeciated. That helped us pay for his. I'm surprised there is no funeral home that will do a payment plan.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• See if a local band would play to raise funds, what were her interests? Did she belong to any groups? Pool together with friends & family have a fund raising garage sale with all the unwanted things. Church groups are also supportive, even if you don't belong to the church.
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 4:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I am not sure how they feel about it but cremation is less expensive then buying a casket and a funeral plot. Then if she belongs to a church, they will often work with you on prices (some will just take an offering of whatever you can afford).
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 6:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Check out discount funeral homes; graveside only service

Answer by rkoloms at 4:45 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• One idea........You can order less expensive caskets online and I was told a funeral home can not refuse to use them. Look into this carefully. Read the fine print. Also, remember that very little of the casket shows if it has a fabric liner that gets folded back for a wake and there are flowers on top of it. We could have gone with a less expensive one If I had remembered how little of it shows at the wake.
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 9:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2011