My first name is natalie kate

Like I said, my first name is natalie kate, but everyone assumes I have 2 middle names and just calls me natalie. This along with the fact that someone told me calling my DD Abbie Hai did not make sense, irritates me. (Her name is Abigail Hailey) Should I tell them off, or simply not respond? It has on occasion made Abbie sad b/c another child said Hai (like when you say hey) sounded weird. Should I stop calling her that? She seems to like it, but the other kids in daycare have made fun of it.

nataliekateof2

Asked by nataliekateof2 at 3:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• i would keep her nickname, but limit its use to home.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I'd follow her cues. If she likes her nickname, let her go by it. If she is bothered by the teasing, you can suggest that only family uses her nickname and see what she thinks.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 5:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• do not teach her that just because other people dont like it or tease her about it that she should change for anyone! Teach her that everyone has differences. if SHE wants to change it, let her, but if she likes it, keep it!
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• well, my name is beth and it irritates me to no end when people insist my name is elizabeth, so i feel your pain! as for your daughter's situation, i would tell her to stick up for herself. if other kids are teasing her about her name, clothes, etc. i would tell her to stand up for herself and tell them to knock it off. if she likes that nick name then she shouldn't change it. i tell my kids that they have to stand up for themselves or it will only get worse. my daughter's name is alison and i call her allie-boo....guess that doesn't make sense either, but it sure makes her smile ;)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I think the nick name is cute i say keep it
    Marranna777

Answer by Marranna777 at 9:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My DD is named Haidyn Michelle & i call her Hai hai i dont see anything weird about it even if u call ur lil girl hai
    Chelhaidax

Answer by Chelhaidax at 1:16 AM on Jul. 13, 2011