When do you say your child is the age they will be their next birthday?

I know this is a silly question, but I hear a lot of Mom's say their kid is a certain age they are not YET!! Today I worked with a new girl they just hired and she said she had a 16 y/o.....but they don't turn 16 until January. I notice that a lot of people do this...I don't, lol...I can't stand my kids getting older. My son will be 19 this month...I tell people I have an 18 y/o that will be 19 the end of this month, but I don't usually add the extra until around 2 months before their birthday. When do you say they are the age they will be their next birthday? Do you say I have a 10 year old when they aren't 10 for another two months or so?

luvmy4kidsinAL

Asked by luvmy4kidsinAL at 3:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Unless we are talking toddler or younger, I say the age that they are at that moment.
    Toddlers...a 3 year old and a 3.5 year old have a different meaning since they can grasp much more at 3.5 than at 3. And infants, yeah by months, not years anyway.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I say when talking with someone she will be 10 in January I never say she is 10 yet or I just say she's 9 with her birthday in January
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• A couple of weeks. I don't like them getting older either, but when it's that close I do say "I have a x year old" when they're not really that old yet lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My dh does that, and it annoys me! My dd will be 17 in two weeks. That means she's still 16, not 17 yet! My other dd will tell people she's 10 and turning 11 in October. She doesn't say she's 11 yet because she's not (that's her own little kid reasoning and it makes sense to me).
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I hold on as long as I can. 2 of my babies have a birthday next month but i still say they are 2 and 5 and probably will until September.lol
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• It depends on context. My daughter's birthday, for example, is in September. Saying she's 6 is true. However, people talking to her and hearing that she's starting 2nd grade when school goes back get a little befuddled doing the math. LOL! At the mid-way point in the year, I say "I have a 6 1/2 year old." As we get in that 'less than 2 months away" spot I'll say either "She's 6 1/2, she'll be 7 in September." or "She's almost 7. Her birthday is Sept." I won't actually say she IS 7 until she is. I might say "She'll be 7 next week" or "Tomorrow is her birthday and she'll be 7." DS's birthday is the end of June. So for now, he's just 9. He'll be just 9 until January when he's 9 1/2. He will start saying he's "9-and-three-quarters" around March. LOL!! He's been doing that since hew as 2....and three quarters. ha!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• my DD turned 3 last month & since shes very tall ppl always gave me crazy looks when i said "shes 2". so i started saying "she'll be three next week/month". DH does the rounding up thing, but i think thats b/c he looks forward to our kids being old enough that they can do there own thing haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• when thier birthday arrives ...otherwise I say they are almost whatever age
    (my daughter is 17 and my son will be 15 in a couple days)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2011