Do newborns need extra water?

I'm breastfeeding my newborn (10 days old) and he's doing great, however, my mom continually insists that he needs water (baby water). Idk, I've read up on it and it says my breatmilk is enough unless the pediatrician says otherwise. I told her this but everytime I look around, sh's asking if he's had water today and giving him water. I hate to argue with my mom but she's been overstepping several boundaries since I had him and quite frankly it's just pissing me off...ugh

Did any of you give your newborns water? If so, why? I just don't see the need when breastmilk is mostly water as it is...

Dark-N-Prego

Asked by Dark-N-Prego at 3:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no, no water - it can cause water intoxication in babies and they can die.

Answer by missanc at 3:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• NO He doesn't need anything but the breast. When your mother asks if he has had water look at her take the baby and put him to your breast and simply say YES
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• NO! It is very bad to feed an infant water. They need every bit of nutrition from your breastmilk, and using water will fill them up, then they won't drink what they really need.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No no water until after 4-6 months depending on how hot your weather is. Breast milk/ formula is the only liquid they need to stay hydrated. In fact giving a new born water puts them at risk for water toxicity. (Thinning out the blood)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• DO NOT GIVE YOUR NEWBORN WATER!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 3:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• As the other mama's said...your newborn does not need extra water, it is actually very dangerous. Maybe you could set up an appt with your little ones pedi and take your mom to the appt. Have him or her explain this to her. It is worth a try...good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No, No water!! Either show her this or call the pedi on the phone. This can hurt the baby. She needs to butt out on this issue.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 3:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• She's stuck in her ways and won't listen to me, the last time she gave it to him he wouldn't latch on. I'm scared to leave him with her because she feels she needs to be doing something and that something usually involves giving him water or trying to keep him quiet so I won't come get him. I'm so frustrated!
    Dark-N-Prego

Comment by Dark-N-Prego (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I never gave my newborn any water, my dr and my babies dr both told me my breast milk was all she needed until she got a few months older. My grandmother said they used to recomend giving all babies a couple ounces of water everyday though.
    Sarah662

Answer by Sarah662 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Don't leave that baby with your mother if you don't trust her. Good intentions or not, she could absolutely do something that will harm him. Why would you be leaving the baby any way? He's only 10 days old.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 4:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2011