How do you deal with your cravings?

What are some of the ways deal with a snack attack or your junk food cravings? I am an emotional eater and find myself always reaching for a snack when I'm bored and really wish I could stop it!

Bluebird8874

Asked by Bluebird8874 at 3:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I don't fight my cravings.. I give myself what I'm craving, trying to fight cravings makes them worse for me.. I give in to my cravings, I just restrain myself in regards to the amount I eat and I try to make substitutes.. Ex: I want nachos.. I have a grilled cheese made out of pepper jack..I get the same "flavor", the spicy cheesy need gets met, yet it's far better for me than a big plate of nachos.. lol
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I am trying to follow the "Weigh Down Diet".
    When I get bored and want to eat, I change my focus.
    When I am not truly hungry, I change my focus.
    When I am hungry and want cake, I EAT CAKE.

I have lost 40lbs in 4months
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 3:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I usually just get bite size snacks when I'm on a health kick and try to taste things not completely deprive yourself of having it. Remember you don't have to eat the whole thing to be satisfied. Good luck.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 3:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• It depends on what I am craving. I try to fill up on healthy stuff, cucumbers tossed with tomatoes and apple cider vinegar. For sweet I drink my chocolate shakeology. I also give myself a serving of steamed rice. with my meals to help fill me up.
    ashlet01

Answer by ashlet01 at 4:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Ugh, this is the reason I haven't started my diet YET. I'm feeling really guilty abt it. I hate the cravings. My diet last year, I drank a glass of water when I had a craving...it filled me up and by that time I was on doing something else and the craving went away. I lost my 15lbs but gained it back since Christmas holidays. Too much baking goes on in this house. Your post just may have given me the push I need to get going again, so Thank You!! :D
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 5:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• First of don't keep junk food in the house. For me I invest the money I would have spent on junk and use it in the produce section. also I never want anything bad enough to get up and go out to get what I want. drinking water while you fight off your cravings helps because it will fill you up. Here is another trick for things like ice cream, get smaller bowls and toddler size spoons, this way you eat slower and your portion is smaller. I got that tip from a friend, and it does work
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 6:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• you have to think about why you have emotions to eat something? But, honestly it's about having self control but not depriving of all cravings it's ok to have some in moderation.
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I agree with ashlet01, I substitute things and just generally deprive myself. Probably not the healthiest, but once you stop eating the fatty, sugary foods....you truly do stop craving it as much. I don't know if there is science behind it or if it is a placebo effect. I used to be able to polish off half of a LARGE bag of Doritos in one sitting.....now, I just tell myself all the empty calories it is and reason that I can eat so much more other stuff for the same amount of calories....or just have something low-cal (like 5 or 6 midget pickles) and salty. I always, ALWAYS remind myself all the cardio I'd have to do to burn it off. After having that pep-talk with myself, I can 9 times out of 10 talk myself out of having the crave food.
    That being said, you do need to induldge once in a while.....and I do say once in a while because that is what makes it a "treat.
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Eat the thing you truly like. Choose from vegetables or fruits and don't feel ashamed of yourself, if you eight of them, like apples, or carrots, or cucumber, or tomatoes. Put the plate on the table, you always direct yourself when you crave for junk food, and help yourself. Like this you will develop healthy habit of snacking good food.
    LadyGI

Answer by LadyGI at 7:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Distract yourself with something else, walk, read, talk on the phone, surf the net. Have prepared veggies on hand-carrots, cucumbers, peppers, etc., drink a tall glass of water, brush your teeth, take a bath. GL.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2011