Sleep disorder?

For the last week my daughter (who is 5) has woken up nearly every night. She fusses and whines, complains that her head hurts, then settles back in. Ten minutes later she is in bed crying for me and when I check on her she tells me repeatedly that she wants to go home. Sometimes pointing out that she is, in fact, home will help. Sometimes not and she continues to whine and sniffle. One night, ths went on for 3 hours. Another night it was only 3 minutes or so. But it's every night... except one.

On the ONE night of this week that she did NOT wake up begging to go home it was the night we were camping. Outisde. In a tent. In the woods. THAT night she slept just fine. Go figure.

So... any idea what this could be? She used to have night terrors but hasn't for about 3 years now.

emhain

Asked by emhain at 3:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Kids' Health

• She might be having a nightmare that is so real she thinks she is somewhere else. My daughter would wake up at the same time EVERY night cring. I talked to the ped. and he said she may have gotten into a routine and wakes up every night at that time. But it didn't explain her cring. I just took it as a nightmare. I thought she had out grown it until she told me just a few weeks ago she still wakes up from nightmares and has to have the TV to bring her back to reality. I think it may be a sleep disorder because she was a bed wetter as well and that also is a sleep disorder. I would talk to her dr to make sure everything is in order. Hope this helps
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I dont have any medical advise but I can share what has worked for my kids.
    Are these episodes similar to the night terrors? Now that she is older they may have changed and this is the result of those changes.
    Another possible issue could be that she is dreaming the same dream every night. I did this when I was 3-4 years old. Almost every night for a year.....to this day I could describe, in detail what I dreamt.

If she is saying her neck hurts maybe she needs a new pillow (not to imply it will help with the ' I wanna go home problem,,)
    Acually now that I think about it, you could get a new pillow and say you got if somewhere special. The pillow is dream proof. My son who is 5 has a small squirt bottle,that sprays a mist to keep the monsters away. I let him make it....with a bit of mom help. He decided water lemon juice and vinegar would do the trick.
    Is she having growing pains? dunno if kids get them in the neck
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 3:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Is your daughter with you the whole day? Or you send her ro daycare. I needed to ask this because some children who have a hard time adjusting with the new places tend to loose sleep. The thing about "going home" makes me wonder if she is referring to this because she is not "happy" in other place. That's why I asked you if she stays with somebody else during the day. JMO
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• My kids do something similar. I have an 8yr and a 10yr and they both get up come in my room talk to me and my hubby say goodnite or say they are havin a nightmares and sweating and talking in their sleep. I thought well they haven't watched anything that would scare them but I talked to my doctor and he said it's the electronics. He said ( this totally makes sense) to not allow them to watch anything or play games before bed. He said to have them play a board game or read like a half hour before bed because the games and laptops and tv has their mind going and when the fall asleep their mind isn't settled. It's kinda like us Moms when we lay there in bed and our mind is still goin a mile a minute. So maybe try to turn all electronics off bout a half hour before bed and read or color or draw or play a board game. It's workin here. good luck
    cuteness13983

Answer by cuteness13983 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 18, 2011