What religion or communtiy of people (What ever you would call this) ?? ...

We went tot he zoo and there was this large Family Unit there. they looked almost Amish. 4 adults( mom dad and grands) and 4 children. All the girls including the women were is very simple plain matching dresses (though the adults were in blue and the girls in Pink) and their hair in buns covered by a small white hat/cloth. the males in the group all in button up shirts and long khaki pants. They were all in name brand shoes like Nikes and they had a NICE Nikon camera with them. First I though Mennonite but I wasn't sure with the camera and Nikes... Then I though Quaker but Dh said they don't exist anymore... not sure I buy that... any way what do you think? Ia m just very curious. I spoke with one of the women about our kids she was very kind. Almost asked but then chickened out.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 3:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ah, based on where you live, I'd throw in a vote for them being part of a Holiness congregation, Mennonite, or- depending on the age of the children, Quiverfull. There are HUGE numbers of all three in the south east. The atlanta area has one of the largest Mennonite congregations in the US, believe it or not. We homeschooled with a couple mennonite families (I was required to cover my hair and wear plain clothes for meetings), they often traveled from SC to GA for events.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Polygamist maybe
    ---
    HUH? How did you get polygamy out of parents, grandparents and 4 kids?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Georga? Then I would rule out Amish, they tend to be more Northern - Think Pennsylvania. With that information I would vote Mennonite. The Atlanta Mennonite Fellowship is one of the larger Mennonite Groups in that part of the US. And they are more prevalent than Quakers or Amish, both of which are more common in the north.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• did the men have beards? we have some of that religion here too and ive never gotten a clear answer b/c im too chicken to ask too. im not sure but i dont think Mennonites shun society or technology like the Amish do...they just dress conservatively.

oh and Quakers do exist they just dont look like the oatmeal man. they dress like average Americans.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I've been sitting here rolling my eyes about most of these Quaker comments. There are plenty of Quakers you would never know about because they don't dress any differently than the average person.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• The prayer kapp is what makes me lean Mennonite, if I had to guess.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 4:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My neighbors growing up were Mennonite, that is how they dressed.

Charjs4

Answer by Charjs4 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Not sure hmm Ill see if I can figure it out...
    Quakers still exist just by a different name :-)

Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I am looking also... I am leaning Mennonite still...
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Well, some Mennonite groups are as integrated as you and I in to society, others are not. So they COULD have been Mennonites.
    Any yes, Quakers are still very real. Your husband is wrong. But Quakers are less likely to have the Camera than the Mennonites would be. Or, they could even be Amish. Amish communities allow shoes and some even allow photographs. I would say it could be any of those.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2011