For those with experience with diabetic diet...

Are natural sugars from fresh fruit bad? My dad is a diabetic and seems to think he can't eat fruit. I thought it was the other way around? ... I'm going to do some research and dig up what I can find.

Kword

Asked by Kword at 4:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Health

• When you're diabetic, all sugars need to be moderated. He can have fruit, just not too much at one time - and generally the later in the day he eats it, the less it will affect his levels. It's not about avoiding all sugar, it's about keeping a moderate steady level.

Answer by missanc at 4:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• There are some fruits that diabetics are supposed to avoid - watermelon & bananas are two of them. Fresh fruit is okay and necessary - in moderation, just like everything else!
    Anonymous

• I agree with the others, fruits that are high in natural sugars have to be eaten in moderation. Have you talked to a dietician yet? They will be able to help you figure out what you can and cannot eat.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Every diabetic is different. Fruits are naturally high in fructose. The only way to truely know how it affects him, is to eat it & monitor blood sugar levels before & after. He may need to avoid all fruit until his sugar is controlled.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:33 AM on Jul. 13, 2011