How do I stop nursing my now one year old.

My son still wants to be nursed to sleep, we co-sleep, I want to end this completely!
I feel it's time to stop, he's starting to bite! Also have comments from family about co-sleeping, will he not be independent later. I have tried to get him used to his crib, he cries really hard. I can't let him cry so I bring him to sleep with me. MIL says sometimes babies need to cry to learn. Does anyone have any tips besides letting him cry it out!

Tara556

Asked by Tara556 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its best to do one at a time, you cant stop nursing and co-sleeping all in one day! it takes time..decide what you want to do first then work on it..my little guy is 13 months and ive been weaning him since 11 1/2 months..its HARD! he nurses at night and in the morning sometimes in the middle of the night but I put him in his crib after..I started the whole self soothe at 10 months and somedays he goes to bed fine, and somedays I stand by him and rub his belly somedays he still nurses to sleep but bedtime has a routine..cuddles,bath,story,bed..be persistent with everything! I started weaning with replacing a feeding with a sippy cup of milk..waited a 2 weeks the first feeding then replaced another and so on..he got gassy and a little constipated but got use to it. Do whatever works for you guys..you could try one of those projection crib things that sing and put the picture on the ceiling..or a comfort toy! GL!!
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 2:01 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• The beneits of BFing for both mommy and babf BFing continue as long as you continue, so stopping at one year isn't necessary if it works for your family. If you still wanna stop kellymom.com has some good tips.

As for cosleeping, many studies have shown that kids who co sleep are actually more independent and better adjusted. The No Cry Sleep Solution can help transition a child with few to no tears.

All in all, if something works for you and your baby, screw what anyone else thinks or says. Good Luck
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I had to go threw the same thing with my daughter, my doctor told me to put vinegor on my nipples, I thought it was kinda funny, but i tried it, my daughter only tried to nurse two times, then never asked again hahaha, worked really well, I am now nursing my second daughter she is 6 months, and am planning on doing the same thing when that time comes. It sounds silly but give it a try :) it wont hurt to try. good luck
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 4:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Why would you want to end something so incredibly beneficial to your child and YOU???
    Blue_Spiral

Answer by Blue_Spiral at 4:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2011