What is your take on this situation....bullies and birthday parties

my son is 6 and goes to a summer program. there's one kid he always hangs out with and actually they have played together since they were babies just because they always went to the same daycare and school.
well today I pick up my son and he says his friend was picking on him with another kid calling him weak. The friend is a big sturdy kid and mine is skinny.
Anyway my son also came home with a birthday invite from the friend. But my son said his friend cancelled the invite.

should I just blow it off and RSVP the invite or take this kid for his word and believe he doesn't want my son to come to his party anymore.

This kid is never mean to my son and last week they were trading pokemon cards. my guess is the 3rd kid got the friend to help him be a bully to my son.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 4:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I agree w/previous posters. I would still take him to the b-day party though. The other kid is less likely to act like that at his party and around other kids/friends. And who knows, by the time the party rolls around, they'll probably be best pals again.

Sorry your son had to deal w/that! =(
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Kids are fickle at that age. Sounds like the friend fell into some bad company. I'd give it a couple days and see if the friend and your son reconcile before I did anything. What they're going through is completely normal at that stage of development.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I agree with Obby ... give it a few days. My son would come home hating a kid one day and best friends with him/her by the end of the week.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 4:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would talk to the parent of the other child. It could be that they are just growing apart. That is the age. Also like Spiritedwitch said, one day best friend, one day worst enemy...
    baquick

Answer by baquick at 11:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• talk with the parent...not aggressively or angrily...just factually. good luck
    mubbie

Answer by mubbie at 5:26 PM on Jul. 14, 2011