Are you overpaying at the Dollar Store?

Coupon experts suspect at least part of the shift can be explained by the so-called “extreme couponing” trend that teaches shoppers to stack stores sales, coupons and other discounts to pay just pennies on the dollar for their purchases. “People are getting smarter,” says Teri Gault, founder of The Grocery Game. “Sales with coupons will almost always beat prices at dollar stores.” A shopper could get a 12-count box of Nature’s Valley granola bars for $0.79 at the grocery store with a sale and coupon, for example. On a per-bar cost, that’s 80% less than the dollar store price of $1 for a pack of four.

http://blogs.smartmoney.com/paydirt/2011/07/11/why-you%e2%80%99re-overpaying-at-the-dollar-store/

tasches

Asked by tasches at 4:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Shopping

• You just have to pay attention to what you are buying. It's common sense.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I don't shop the dollar store...it is in the ghetto. But I also don't extreme coupon.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• The dollar store takes coupons too.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I am a manager at the family dollar in hillsboro n.h. The only other store we have in town is Shaws and let me tell you they jack the prices up big time because they know they can. With the price of gas who can afford to travel 30 min. away to the city to save money. Back to the dollar store comment, all my customers that come into the store say how thankful they are to havethe store in town . they save a ton of money. Its not being ghetto, its being smart to save money .
    cheryl887

Answer by cheryl887 at 4:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I agree with SpiritedWitch. I go to the Dollar Stores knowing what i want and how much it cost at the regular stores. A lot of times the price can be higher at the Dollor Stores because some people just assume it will be cheaper. It pays to scope things out and know the best places to buy things.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I haven't bought things at the dollar store in quite a while because it really is higher there.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I don't really buy grocery items at the Dollar Store. However, I don't buy that type of food that you have mentioned anyway. In my home you will find NO cookies, no bars, no junk of any kind. I spend money for vegetables and fruits... things you cannot get coupons for. You have to choose the best choice to feed your family. I don't think I will be using coupons on cookies, granola bars, packaged rice, candy, etc... I will however, use them on health and beauty items.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I go to the dollar stores for paper products and cleaning supplies. They are cheaper than WalMart. I also go to the dollar store first if I need something during the week. The 2 grocery stores in our town are so overpriced.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 9:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• No....Sorry for the confusion. Our Dollar Store is in the Ghetto. It has been held up many times. My neighbor is a police officer and has advised us not to go. Just last week someone was carjacked there.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 11:26 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Can we say racist!? Any way.....when I go to a Dollar Tree, I do not feel like I'm overpaying. Family Dollar is a whole different ball game.....but I do spend good money there. Their stuff is still cheaper than WalMart or KMart.
    LittlesMom549

Answer by LittlesMom549 at 4:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2011