Vegetarian/vegan moms during pregnancy

ive been vegetarian since i was 12. and when i became pregnant with my daughter, i wanted to stay that way. so i got my doctors okay and had a healthy pregnancy (although not a very happy one, had sever morning sickness in my 1st trimester).

my question is: how easy did you find it to be to stay with you lifestyle choice while pregnant? did you go back to eating meat/dairy because you thought it was better for your baby?

mcr17

Asked by mcr17 at 4:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I saw where Natalie Portman strayed form her Vegan eating style while pregnant. She said she craved it so she felt it was her bodies way of saying that it needed it. She ate eggs and dairy during her pregnancy. I was aware you could easily have a healthy pregnancy on a vegan diet though. Just thought it was interesting given the question!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• If you are a healthy vegan/vegetarian then there is no need to change. I mean someone could eat nothing but coffee, cherrios, cracekrs and candy bars...they are technically a vegetarian, but obviously not a very healthy one. lol If you are healthy and consume enough prtein and iron from other sources then you and baby will be fine.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• With my first 2 pregnancies I craved meat, so I ate meat. Like Natalie Portman, I felt that my cravings were telling me what my body needed.

I'm still waiting for the meat cravings with my 3rd and that baby is now 6.5. I craved milk and fruit instead.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2011