Vegetarian Mom/Meat Eating Dad: What should baby be?

Im a vegetarian and my husband is a meat eater, i see nothing wrong with it but when i became pregnant we had a very long discussion about whether our daughter should be vegetarian/meat eating too. My husband basically told me there was no way our daughter would be raised vegetarian, I let him win that one,our daughter is a meat eater (shes 2 now). However he agreed that when she was older,she could decide on her own if she wanted to try my lifestyle and if she would like to stay that way she could. (ive been veg for 13 years).

Do you think a child should be raised on the diet of one or both parents or do you think its a decision they make on their own when they are old enough?

If there is a difference in opinion,who should have the final say?

mcr17

Asked by mcr17 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• IMO the if one parent is accepting of the other parent not having the same eating style then I see no reason to pick one or the other for the child but it introduce them to both styles (tofu, chicken, barley, beans... all recipes) and let them decide later in life.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:41 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• It's got to be a decision they make on their own. She may decide after a while that she doesn't like meat and become a vegetarian, but forcing them into something won't always work. I just let my kids decide what foods they like and don't like with the one rule that you have to try it once before deciding.
    Grungalax

Answer by Grungalax at 4:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• i say that when they are old enuff to make those choices, the child can choose. but i think that both sides should be able to have their input as well. ultimately they older they get, the more they will know what they like.
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 4:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• An omnivore until they can decide for themselves.
    other_mother

Answer by other_mother at 5:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I eat seafood but no meat. We are raising the kids on meat if they'll eat it. They need it to grow and if they don't like it down the road, it's fine.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• It will be most definitely that your daughter when she is old enough to decide will follow your same eating habits. That's what I've been told.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 5:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• The child should try both veg and and meat and see what she likes.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I fed my kids meat and if they wanted to eat it, they could. Fortunately they don't like it much :)
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 5:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• usually the parent that cares the most wins on this one. my aunt is a vegan and my uncle eats everything. my aunt cared a lot more about their DD growing up vegan, so now at 7 she eats what mom does. however, she has never been given the choice to eat meat. my cousin is pretty frail & always looks malnourished b/c she doesnt like any of the foods she should be eating to replace the protein in meat. but shes gone her whole life without much meat & it makes her sick when she eats it...she doesnt really have much choice in the matter now.

i would say if its just you & her, she should eat what you do, but dont keep her from eating meat if she wants it or if DH wants to give her some. eventually, it should be up to her.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I'm a vegetarian, DH and the kids have not been. We eat mainly vegetarian meals because I do the planning and the shopping. If DH is in the mood for fish or chicken I will buy it but he prepares it.

Recently we have been having a lot of discussions about the food industry and adjusting our lives according to how we think we should be eating. DH decided he wouldn't eat chicken if he hadn't met the farmer. It's been an interesting ride, especially since we also keep kosher, which would require someone to ritually kill the chicken as well. Long story short we now have a kosher chicken co-op and a formerly card carrying carnivore son who decided he was now a veg. But he is 13. The other 2 kids still eat the chicken. But we are still mostly veg.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2011