Should I tell him my DD has a crush??

A couple of weeks ago, my 17 y/o DD met an old school friend of mine. She developed an immediate crush. Since then, she has started talking to him on a social networking website & when they saw each other at a store. I'm not concerned about the conversations as they are about movies & music (I have read them, total PG rated stuff). And this friend, while he is 18 years older than DD, is an upstanding citizen & very respectful of women & I am not worried that he would try to take advantage of my DD.

So, my question is, do I tell my friend that DD has a crush on him? Or do I let it just play itself out? The only reason I would consider telling is so that he understands that she is a young woman with sensitive feelings, not just the kid of an old friend. I feel if I told, it would give him the chance to more carefully guard his words so as not to unintentionally encourage her. But I don't want to make things awkward between any of us. Any advice would be great!

And what in the world do I do if he returns her feelings?????

SaraBeth1204

Asked by SaraBeth1204 at 4:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I wouldn't allow my 17 year old daughter to exchange conversation with a 35 year old man.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• in that sense, anyway, for clarification.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:55 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I think I would let it play itself out. Imagine her anger if she found out.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• As long as you can read and monitor everything, I wouldn't worry. He is just being nice to your daughter and she will eventually figure that out and turn her attention to someone more age appropriate. Girls that age change affections quickly.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 5:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Normally, I would not allow DD to have unsupervised conversations with someone in their 30s. However, I have know this man for 20 years. And he is now a member of the church I grew up in. DD had actually met him when she was little but didn't have a chance to see him again until recently.
    SaraBeth1204

Comment by SaraBeth1204 (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2011