If your 40 yr old single brother wanted your 10 yr old daughter to stay with him for a few days would you let him

my sister was telling me about her sil who has a 10 yr old girl and her sil's brother who is single .. they were both at my sisters house and the 10 yr old didn't want to go home so the the single guy says to his niece that he will take her and she can sleep in his bed and wear his tshirts for pajamas ....
my sisters sil said that it was ok and let her daughter go.
sure she doesn't think her brother will do anything but isn't it common sense that you don't let a man sleep with a little girl wearing his tshirts to bed...period

my sister did not like this idea at all but could not stop the situation but had to call me because me and her both know he is shouldn't be trusted but that he is leaving a 10 yr old alone at his house in a shady area while he works.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 5:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• That's just gotten creepy written all over it. As the mother of 3 girls, reading this made sick to my stomach. Most children who are molested have been by a family member or a close family friend. You can never be too careful about who you leave your children alone with.
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 7:36 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Ok... letting an uncle take the girl home would be fine with me...and did he actuallly say he was going to sleep IN bed with her, or just that she could use his shirt was pjs(which I don't find anything wrong with)...and then him sleep on the couch or what not. I don't really see how its relevent that he is single...like married men don't molest anyone lol.

No if he was going to leave the child alone the next day then no that wouldn't be ok, I would just go pick up the child in the morning, or say that she can go over another night.

Unless the uncle has done something in the past to make me uneasy, besides just being single. Then I don't see how this is a problem?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Seriously, he did five years for rape, he would never be allowed AROUND my children, ever. At all.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• This depends on the type of uncle he is. In the same bed is odd to me. I don't care so much about using a pajama shirt but the same bed is not so good and leaving her alone is clearly unacceptable. If he's a well adjusted, normal non predator kind of uncle, then great.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• 5 years for rape is the key piece of info we needed. NO, to all of it.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Well see didn't say anything about the past... I don't care if was my father and the kid had its own room...after a past like that then NO my child wouldn't be going over there....especially the all in one bed thing.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• In the same bed - a bit creepy, otherwise, no big deal. Everyone is always 1st to jump on that predator band wagon when there hasn't been any suspicious activity. And obviously sister trusts brother.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• If they are a close family I see no issues with it...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would never allow this. I trust my brothers 100% and I know in my heart that there is no way any of them would ever touch one of my children, but in my mind, this is inappropriate. I also don't think they would ever offer, either.
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• he said there was room in his bed for both of them to sleep...also he has troubles with the law and did 5 years for rape
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2011