Our room is a deep dark apple red.... my husband says he thinks its to dark now and wants a lighter color.... can you help?

Im not sure what color to paint it...like a light ivory? Or light soft green? I have no idea... we are also in the process of getting a new bed and stuff so should we keep that light also? any suggetions welcome....thanks

jaksonsmommy

Asked by jaksonsmommy at 5:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Home & Garden

• I love the idea of your current room. :o)
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Painting an entire room red is tough to pull off unless you have a TON of daylight coming in and light trim, etc. Sometimes it can look cavernous. There are many shades of green and even ivory. I'd flip through a architectural digest our country living or something and look at paint colors in the pictures. Then hit Lowes or Home Depot and see what colors they have.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• i love sage greens....very pretty, clean and calming. perriwinkle blues with white are beautiful too...all these colors go nice together with creams and taupes. i would paint the walls a lighter color and do the accents a darker shade. that way you still have tons of contrast, but it's still bright.
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 5:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• It's actually okay to have a really dark bedroom. You sleep in there! You don't need to wash dishes or do much for chores in there. I painted my master bedroom a dark navy blue, even the ceiling, and I loved it. My bedspread and curtains were cranberry and gold. It was really gorgeous. But it was very dark, so my DH hung Three strings of Christmas Lights across the ceiling! It looked like tiny stars in the heavens. I was sorry when we moved, but decided not to repaint the new bedroom navy, since we don't know how long we're going to rent here.
    As for your room, are you getting a new bedspread? If so, don't paint until you pick it out, as you'll want to paint the walls a complementary color. If you're keeping your old spread, what colors are in it?
    My daughter has a seafoam-green satin comforter. She bought ivory curtains, and plans to paint her room peach. The carpet is also seafoam green. Sand will be accent color.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 5:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• do a light red... lol
    chrstny88

Answer by chrstny88 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• You probably went too dark of a red colour our room is like a Tuscan red & nice & warm. It all depends on your style & what colours ya like? I would keep your bedding light for sure I usually keep it at spa colours like white, tan etc. I like a light sage green a warm shade myself or you could do a bright white with a smidge of a tint to it like blue, yellow etc. GL.....
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 5:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would go with a toasted almond, it isn't dark or too light and matches with almost anything.

Answer by older at 5:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• IDK what color to try next - but I know you're going to have a lot of "fun" covering up that red! lol
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 5:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• If you like the deep red then you might like the beige with accents of red like on the lamp shades or curtains. Sometimes the walls being darker than everything else does make it kind of depressing and stuffy.
    Ashemery83

Answer by Ashemery83 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would definitely go for seige green. That way, if you choose new bedding or furniture its very versitile, and you can use either light or dark colors.
    Ashleigh_17

Answer by Ashleigh_17 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 12, 2011