Ground beef safety question

I needed to use a pound of ground beef that was frozen, so i put it on the counter to thaw...leaving it out longer than I should have. It looks and smells just fine. Will cooking it kill any bacteria?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I would say it should.
    Anonymous

• It will be fine as long as its not really warm?? not sure how long ya left it out...................BUMP
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 5:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Cooking it should be fine. In the future, Did you know you can shape ground beef into hamburger patties and freeze them? Then you can cook the patties even without thawing them. Although I usually partially thaw them, but because they are patties and not a solid block, they thaw much faster. Also, you can brown ground beef and freeze it already browned. Then the night before you want to use it in a recipe, you can put it in your refrigerator, or set it on the counter a couple of hours before dinner. I don't like microwaves, so seldom thaw my meat in one. If you freeze cooked ground beef, only save it one month. If you freeze cooked ground beef in a sauce, then you can save it six months. If the meat is coated in a sauce and freezes into a solid block, then it doesn't get "freezer burned" the way that loose ground beef does.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 5:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Yeah, it should be fine.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 8:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Yeah it should be fine :)
    RigPrincess85

Answer by RigPrincess85 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Not always!!! Be careful.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• depends on how long it was left out. if it reached room temp I'd be very leery about using it. Meats can smell just fine & still be no good, especially burger & other ground meats. My theory is this: "When in doubt, dont". I had food poisoning once from pork sausage. Never again do I take chances with meat. I buy 4 lbs of ground beef at a time at the meat market. I then divide it into 1lb portions, place it in a Qt freezer bag, then flatten it out before sealing up the bag. This method leaves very little air in the bag, plus it stacks easier in the freezer, then thaws more evenly as well. When I need it thawed in a hurry I use the cold water method. I place the bag in a deep bowl of cold water, chaning the water every 20 mins. It thaws very quickly using this method.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 9:23 AM on Jul. 13, 2011