Need some general help with my 3 year old

I went to court today to get more time with my son (before it was one or two supervised visits during the week, plus every other Sunday supervised - now I get one or two unsupervised visits during the week, plus every other Saturday overnight unsupervised). No, it's not a lot of time, but we go back in September to hopefully make it more even (provided my ex thinks the visits aren't a bust).

My first overnight is next weekend (not the one coming up, the one after) and we're going away with my family... but two weeks after that will be an actual visit at my house.

Now... I know mostly what my son likes to do and some things that he likes to eat (his dad doesn't like to tell me much). But I need some general ideas for pretty much everything:
-activities he and I can do together (I have some ideas of things that cost money, but free would be good too... like games we can play at home, etc)
-crafts we can make
-foods I can introduce to him
-and ESPECIALLY ways to help him learn - something his dad is not really into

I don't have any toys at my house yet (because our visits have been at my parent's house for the last 6 months or so) but I work at Toys R Us and will get some with my discount. His dad doesn't take him to do much, because they live in a smaller city and his dad doesn't drive right now. That's why I need ideas. I live in a bigger city and my roommate has a car, so the possiblities seem endless. :)

Thanks in advance

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 5:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would say, taking him to the pool if possible(but some kids don't like water to much so maybe a park where they have the water facet/sprinkler things), finger painting, playdough. pretty much any food you want to make you can introduce him to is great. you can practice letters and colors and numbers.

My son is 3 1/2 and we have started to practice reading and spelling. You could do a fun movie night with popcorn a fort made out of blankets and pillows, board games like chutes and ladders.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:46 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Take walks together and do a letter scavenger hunt on the street signs as you walk down the street, Make smoothies together with berries, yogurt, bananas and let him sample them. Try to find a public pool or go to the beach. (my city is small but has 6 public swimming areas that are free). Make homeade pizza together and let him put his own toppings on (you can buy the dough made or use an english muffin) and show him a variety of veggies to put on top. Get a few packages of seeds and plant a little window herb garden together (you can get grow lights if your apartment has not sun) visit a local pet store and watch the fish, dogs, cats. Your local library might have passes to museums free or at a discount if you check. Make buildings out of marshmallows and toothpicks. Play hide and seek, red light green light. Most kids at this age can play Candy Land
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• Congratulations on getting more time with him....It is summer here so i would say buying a pool and toys for the water and having like a picnic outside
    roxy0522

Answer by roxy0522 at 5:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Oh, I should add that I live in an apartment and don't have a yard. There is a lot of green space surrounding the complex, so playing outside isn't out of the question... but a pool is. :P
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 5:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Make slushies together. If you have a blender and ice with a little kool aide.
    oldmom55

Answer by oldmom55 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Three year olds love playdough. You can buy it or make your own and even make it scented with vanilla or mint extract (just a tad). Get some bottles and an eyedropper and food coloring and mix colors together in different clear containers full of water and get some white paper to tie die it with the same drops. It is amazing how much fun my son and I had with 84 cents worth of pipe cleaners the other day. Look up free activities in the newspaper calendar or your city's parenting magazine. There are lots of fun things. I would buy toy cars, blocks, duplos and things that have lasting power and a few comfort objects like a teddy bear and blanky for your house. Bake something together and mix the ingredients. Build a fort your first night with pillows and couch cushions, sheets and blankets to read stories in. And as you are trying to get more custody I would market your great times by sending dad great art, homeade cupcakes etc.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:10 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• My kids love to color, a coloring book, and some paper and crayons are a good start. We do a lot of writing for our kids right now, they are small, and so they tell us stories and we write them down. For little boys I try to always have a ball, a book and a truck; I would also add in a small doll, all the boys we have had around here have liked them. Bubbles are great cheap fun, you can do those off the balcony even. A place to run would be great, even just running around with no purpose will tire him out.
    bebcarroll

Answer by bebcarroll at 4:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• bump
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2011