My daughter absolutely refuses to go to the potty. She cries when she gets on it and I'm running out of things to try.

Hilbun2

Asked by Hilbun2 at 5:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son does the same thing a lot of the time, i get luck some times. My pediatrician told me I just have to wait until he is ready and willing.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Are you putting her on the big (regular) toilet? Some kids get afraid they'll fall in. If you haven't gotten one, try one of those inserts that make the seat smaller for little kids, they're designed to fit on the regular seat but make it so a small child doesn' t feel like they're gonna fall into it or maybe look into purchasing a child's potty chair.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 6:03 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• She's not ready yet. Try again in a couple of weeks.
    oldmom55

Answer by oldmom55 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My son did the same thing, it just means she's not ready yet. Give her some time. My son literally decided overnight to be potty trained, it was crazy. One day he'd start screaming if I even SHOWED him the potty, and the next he was wearing underpants with no accidents at all....

Meriana has a good point too, sometimes kids are afraid of the big toilet, so one of those potty seats would help there. Or just a separate little potty. Every kid is different in what they prefer...

Just be patient!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• how old is she? they don't have the neuro pathways connected in their little brains to understand the process until they are at least 3yrs old. some are earlier but most often it is the parent that is trained and the child is just on a schedule!!
    mubbie

Answer by mubbie at 7:23 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Don't force her it will make it harder, she just isn't ready alot of kids don't even want to start until they are 3, two is not the norm anymore
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• What helped me was a potty dance and song that I made up. She thought it was funny to see her mommy do a goofy dance about going to the potty and then I'll run to the bathroom and sit on the potty and she'll sit on her potty and I'll pretend I'm peeing and she would pee. Her potty made a little "Taa Daa" noise when she peed (there was a little sensor on it that would go off when her pee stream or poop would pass over it). Pull-ups really helped too, especially the ones with the characters. I told her that Dora didn't like to get peed on, LOL. So, when she had to pee, she would say, "I don't want to pee pee on Dora, she's my friend" and haul tail to the potty. Then, I transitioned over to making her go every hour to every other hour and sitting there with her and she'll have a little magazine rack with just her books and I'll either read them to her or she'll pretend to read them to me, all the while she's sitting on the pot
    sable23220

Answer by sable23220 at 1:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2011