Doe anyone else feel like this?

My 13 yo dd has always gone out for sports and I'm so sick of parents buying their kids top notch gear & clothing. It has gotten worse as she has gotten older. Why can't they just have fun and not make it such a fashion show and who has the best???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Except for shoes, you should always get the best as far as they go, better for their feet. The other stuff if it works then why buy the most expensive.
    daps

Answer by daps at 6:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Because they can.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 6:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I totally hear you. My daughter's into dancing and there are preppy b****s there. They're so rude that they show off and won't talk to me at all because we're her dance clothes at Wal-Mart and not some fancy place because I'm a stay-at-home mom and a divorcee. People are so rude in my city.
    leomommy1325

Answer by leomommy1325 at 7:01 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Sorry, but if they can afford it, kudos to them!!! Hurrah for supporting their child in the sport they have chosen!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I buy expensive shoes because that is important to keep injuries down. I buy the better safety equipment, but the rest I buy what I can afford. Also, if they can afford it who cares? If I could afford the best of everything for my son I would do the same thing too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• In some of the sports my kids are involved in, if you have flashy and expensive equipment you better have the skills to go with them. Otherwise, you're seen as a poser and looked upon with scorn. I find this to be especially true about snowboarding and skiing.
    cege

Answer by cege at 10:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• You seem jealous and insecure. It's the performance that matters and who looks at what a kid is working out in!? My boys play club basketball and football. We make sure that they have good shoes/cleats, and under armour, but other than that it's sweat. My daughter has been dancing since she was 4 and again outside of the various shoes, she dresses to work out and does. Do I pay more than some, yes, I refuse to buy anything at Walmart, EVER, and I feel like better made shoes last longer and provide better support. I would say just be thankful that you can afford the teams/lessons because many cannot.
    mjande4

Answer by mjande4 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I have enough trouble worrying about my own kids and I sure can't control what other parents do or decide to spend on their kids. We eat alot of macaroni and cheese at my house and I can't spend time worrying about other parents who eat steak! Alot of wasted effort goes into worrying about other people who you can't control.
    JanetR74

Answer by JanetR74 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Both of my boys play a variety of sports when it comes to shoes I do spend quite a bit. My oldest has issues with rolling his ankles when playing football so he needs shoes specifically for that, as well as braces. I also prefer to spend the extra on shoes. I spend the money for quality to get as many seasons as I can out of them. They play multiple sports so I want shoes that going are to work.
    I buy under armor when its on sale, I prefer them to wear it during football season to keep them warm due to our freezing temps here.
    But I don't worry about what other parents buy, I don't look at the other kids shoes or equipment or clothes and think any less of them or their family.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2011