Can I, as a stepmom, take my stepchild out of state without his dad?

My family is planning on going on vacation and I want my stepchild to go, but his dad is not going. Can I take him out of state without being charge with kidnapping by the non-corropitive mom? I have tried to find legal rights pertaining to this, but all I can find is that basically I have NO rights. His dad says he can go, it will be good bonding time. But legally I dont know!

meemee410

Asked by meemee410 at 6:49 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Travel

• If mom is not okay with it, then no, you cannot. Thats to bad... but you could face legal consequences. So sorry! Hopefully mom will come around.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 6:52 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• As long as the dad says its okay but are you married to the dad:& if not then I say no
    Anonymous

• If dad has custody, and gives you permission, then yes. If dad does not have custody, and mom does not give you permission, then no, you cannot.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 6:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would say yes you could as long as no other arrangements are made within their custody agreements.
    I've taken my step son in and out of 2 states often.... then again, we are right near the border.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 8:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• if all parents are okay with it. and have it in writing
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 8:44 AM on Jul. 16, 2011

• only with written consent from both parties....or depending on how the custody is written....like i have full custody of my children and ex only has limited visitations...i can come and go as i please with the kids but he cant take them out of the county with out my permission...hopefuly you can work out something with the mom
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• With written permission
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 1:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2012