Arrested and conviction

If you are arrested for a crime and entered into a diversionary program so they never had to do court, that means they were not convicted right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Money & Work

• depends. I think that means it would be expunged... I will give you a bump.
    jenni_j

Answer by jenni_j at 6:56 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• usually it means that if the person completes the diversionary program that they will be given a deferrment and the charge won't show up on the person's record.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• So it would be conviction or diversion? possibly
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 6:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No. You still have to do court. In fact, diversion programs are using awarded DURING your court session by the judge. And then, you will need to pay for and take all of the classes, and show up for another court date with proof that you have completed the program. At that point, if you have not completed, you will be sentenced.

Drug diversion will usually clear that offense from your record, UNLESS you fail to finish the course or show up for your next court date. You may also have a probation period, even after the DD classes are over. You CANNOT get into any trouble during that year or two of probabtion.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:00 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• This happened several years ago, I completed the program and never had to go back to court. I know I have an arrest record but do I have a conviction record?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• You may want to check in with the county court about your record. Just go during open hours. How did the court get proof that you completed the program? DId they have you do a mail-in?
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I had to bring it all in to an interview.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Okay. Chances are, then, that you do not have a conviction on your record, as ong as we are talking misdomeanor, right? I am sure you know this, but it is super-important that you do not get in trouble again, because they are much less likely to give you another diversion option.

It still might be a good idea to check in with the court to make sure their records are as they should be, but you should be safe.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Good luck! :)
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2011