Has anyone ever been on a doctor-supervised, super-low-calorie diet?

I'm 5' 6.5" and weigh 280 pounds. I've had my head in the sand for so long, but now I'm in constant pain due to heel spurs and arthritis. Also diabetes run in my family. I don't plan to try to lose all my weight this way, but if possible I'd like to lose a chunk fairly quickly, to take stress off my feet and joints, and lower my diabetes risk.

o0orange0o

Asked by o0orange0o at 7:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• It's never healthy to deprive yourself of nutrients. You MUST eat enough calories to supply your body with the vitamins and minerals it needs to function or else you deplete yourself and up your risk of many health conditions. You can get your weight down quickly with a healthy, low-calorie diet, but it's not easy. Make healthy substitutions and start slowly with exercise, and it might come off faster than you ever imagined :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Short term, they are plenty fine. You can't do them for longer than a few weeks. I have done the hcg diet with incredible results (18 pounds in 16 days), and I eat cleaner, healthier and ended up putting MORE nutrients in my body than I had while eating a crap ton of food that wasn't good for me. It's never recommended for long term weight loss -- however, short term VCLDs can slow aging and keep cells from degenerating -- again -- if done SHORT TERM.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 7:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My mom did this and then slowly added some calories back and she lost 70 pounds. She ate mostly protien in the beginning and then added veggies and then fruit. But that means no sweets, pasta, bread, etc. It can be done but if you stay on a super low calorie diet for more then a few weeks you will end up hurting your body. Look into the Medi fast diet I believe thats what its called and there are sites that tell you what you can eat on this diet and the stages
    Steph1499

Answer by Steph1499 at 7:23 PM on Jul. 14, 2011