How do you keep a cat off the kitchen table?

My kitten has got in the habit of jumping on our kitchen table. This is my first cat so I am not sure on how to properly 'train' him not to jump up there. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: Thanks a lot ladies! I tried the water and loud noises which didn't work at all. Next I tried the orange peel and that worked like a charm! Now, usually a simple NO will work when I see him wanting to get on the table. If he still gets up there, the orange peel waiting for him on the table makes him want to get away as fast as he can.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Pets

• Thats the golden question. you just have to get after them everytime you catch them. But they aren't like dogs, they know when you are around or not, and will always get on the counter when you are gone.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Mouse traps under newspaper. Won't hurt em but will scare the crap out of em
    daps

Answer by daps at 7:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• my mom used to spray our cat with a spray bottle filled with water everytime she would go on the table, christmas tree etc. It took some work but eventually she stopped :) Good luck :)
    RigPrincess85

Answer by RigPrincess85 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• my brother has a water gun ready and shoots the cat with it everytime he catches it. he upgraded to a super saoker the last time i saw him. :)
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• When I was cat sitting a friend of mine who has a cat told me to keep a spray bottle with water in it and everytimr the cat got on the table squirt it a few times and he soon will learn not to get up there. It worked.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 7:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• water gun.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• The mouse trap idea had me laughing out loud.. great idea though lol. Maybe I should try that outside my bedroom door at night? My youngest cat is an alarm clock kitty(she wakes us up every morning)...but i would probably just suceed in scaring the crap out of my husband when he forgets its there in the middle of the night LOL
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• That's easy. I have 7 cats so trust me, I know. Train them by clapping loudly close to them or using a toy that makes a loud noise as soon as you see them on the table and if they don't move then gently push them off or pick them up and put them on the floor. After time, they learn they're not supposed to be up there. It must be done every time they're on the table/counter without exception. If you pet them sometimes when they're on the table, they get confused and think it's okay. Some cats that also don't like water can learn from sprays of water from a safe water spray.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I have 4 cats, they love water. Noise doesn't bother them. I resigned myself to acknowledging that I am screwed. I work all day, there is nobody to get them off the table then and they sure as hell don't care when I get home, sigh.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 7:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• The water bottle works wonderfully. After a few sprays, just set the water bottle on the table, and the cat will definately remember and not jump up there again.

BUT also do not put anything tempting on the table. Cats shouldn't be punished for being curious or hungry!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 7:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2011