Do you think this is fair?

My ex-husband won't let my daughter see her Aunts, cousins and Grandmother anymore... because they don't like his new wife! Nobody does. His side of the family desperately want to see my daughter but he won't let them - his own selfish issues. This is so unfair to my daughter and them! They don't live near me and when she goes to visit him - he refuses her seeing her other family - I'm too far away to make it happen. Not sure what to do!??

isismoon3

Asked by isismoon3 at 8:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 66 (1,275,470 Credits)
  • You are right- your ex is being a totally seflish jerk & he's using your dau as a pawn. Shame on him! Can you make arrangements w/ the grandparents for her to stay an extra week with them once his visitation is over? If he tries to stop that, then just keep in touch with them, allowing her to talk, email, write, send pics, etc until they can come to your town for a visit. Or you may want to suggest they at least try to be civil to the new wife, so they can at least see their grandchild. It's that dilema- would you rather be right, or be happy? GL!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• It will come back to bite him. When she's old enough to make her own decisions, she will resent his not allowing her to see her own family. His issues should be his, and he should not be dumping them on his child.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Invite them to your place? Maybe they'll be willing to travel.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 9:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No it's not in the least bit fair. I agree, Shame on him!
    Does she have a FB account? My nieces and nephews live in Europe and New Zealand and it's a great way for us to keep in touch.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• the grandparents can take him for rights to see her
    momand4kids

Answer by momand4kids at 9:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• its very selfish of him to deprive his daughter of a relationship with them, when will people stop punishing children for grown peoples mess!!!!!!!! Leave them out of it, he doesnt have to see them but he shouldnt stop her from seeing them, have you discussed how you feel about this with him?
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2011