When is it ok to take a newborn out?

I forget when I took my son out for the first time, and I need to get out of the house. I would love to go grocery shopping. I'm so afraid of my newborn getting sick though.

LuvMybebe

Asked by LuvMybebe at 3:32 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had a Winter baby Dec 14 last year. I waited 2 weeks minimum with all my kids though.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• its better for the baby to go out that way they can get use to it as long as he/she is bundled up its fine
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 3:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I didnt really take mine out until they were around 6 weeks old. I just had my dh or inlaws or parents watch them while I went to the groceries or for a cup of coffee.

Answer by gemgem at 3:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Wow! I waited 10 days until I took my oldest out and then with my newest little one, we went straight from the hospital to the grocery store (august baby) and just kept him covered up so no one would bother either me or him. If you have a baby carrier cover then just keep them in it covered up, and wash your hands really GOOD when you get home before you touch your baby...
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I say when u are ready. Think about it, your child has already been out, you had to go outside to get home from the hospital right? I have 3 daughters 3,2,and 3 months. I took them out when I was ready to go out. Just keep baby bundled and wash hands a lot! lol
    AlliMoore1986

Answer by AlliMoore1986 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My dd was born in July, so I waited 3 weeks. It took me that long to recover from my c-section anyway.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Take your baby out when you are ready too. Bundle up if it's cold where you are, and don't let anyone touch your baby though. Use the wipes to clean the handle of the basket so your hands don't get germy from previous users.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 3:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• You can't protect them forever. And think of it this way- if you shelter them from germs forever, they will be more prone to illness. I took my dd out to the store and to lunch the day after we got home from the hospital.
    Anonymous

• Back when I was havingkids. You didn't bring the baby out side for a month. That was in the late 70's early 80's. I think it all has to do with the babies immunesystem

Answer by louise2 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Whenever you feel ready. I think I went out the first time about 3 days after we got home, to the doctor, and out maybe 5 days after we got home.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2008