My 6 month old go the flu shot for the first time, and now has this horrible cough and runny nose, how do i help her?

I give her the infant meds but that only seems to help very little.

Siennasmama6108

Asked by Siennasmama6108 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Cold medicine won't cure the cold. If they are given at all, according to our pediatrician, they should only be given at night to help them sleep...and that's "iffy".

Elevate the head of her crib. That will help with drainage so she doesn't keep waking as often being all stuffed up.

Steam her in the bathroom. Turn it into a sauna to help loosen up the mucous...then suction it out as much as you can, but not too often. Suctioning can cause the inner lining of the nostrils to swell causing difficulty breathing.

Run a cool mist (or steam) humidifier...I have one son who does better with steam and one who does better with cool mist. (go figure)

Give her some Tylenol for discomfort.

If you are concerned, take her in for a check.

(and I don't think the flu shot has anything to do with it)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:58 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Use one of those booger suckers they send you home from the hospital with and some saline solution for her nose. Babies can sound worse than they actually are because they breath through their nose.

Other than that, TiccledBlue has everything else I was going to say.

I also don't think it's from the shot, it's just that time of year.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• Honestly, you should have skipped on that flu shot. It has dangerous ingredients in it, including formaldehyde, which is known to cause cancer. The best way to prevent the flu is VIT D and plenty of it. Some moms give their babies/kids 1000 IUs a day. I take 2000 a day.
    And so now you are giving her meds. You are over medicating your baby! Let their lil immune system do it's job. Just use one of those blue suction bulbs to get the snot out.
    http://nvic.org/Diseases/influenzafacts.htm That will help you.
    Anonymous

• How do you know she's over medicating? Where did she post what doses of what medicine she was giving?

You have your opinions about the flu shot, that's fine, everyone is entitled to an opinion. But to make such an accusation without having facts....that's just wrong.

And yes...that is my opinion.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:27 PM on Dec. 19, 2008

• She probably means overmedicating in the sense that no child needs medicine for an ailment like a cold. Most people on here over-medicate just by giving their children unncessary medication that just adds more crap for your poor childs body to process.

As long as she is getting plenty of fluids and plenty of rest she will be fine.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 5:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Keyaziz - You are right! I don't ever give my kids meds for a cold, a fever (unless it NEEDS brought down, but I have yet to run into that), etc. I let my children's immune systems do the job that they are supposed to do.
    Anonymous