Dealing with a rude neighbor, any suggestions...?

I have a somewhat new neighbor (duplex). She's really nice and I like her, but the other day she took her full car ashtray and just dumped it out in our driveway. Plus, she keeps dropping her butts all over the place. I have a 9 yr old son running around outside and don't want him seeing cig. butts everywhere! We've been picking them up, think she'll get the hint or should I be upfront and say something about it! I'm so non-confrontational and don't want to alienate her. What do you think?

isismoon3

Asked by isismoon3 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Home & Garden

Level 66 (1,275,470 Credits)
  • Ask her in a lighthearted way that if there is a better place for her to dump the ashes and cigarette butts. Just explain that your kids are very mischievous and u noticed them playing with the cig butts. Kind of make it like you need her help to keep the rascals safe. You might even sugarcoat it by baking her a pie and bring it over to to make it more of a social visit. If you act like a flustered mom that just needs some help, she might take the request more kindly. I don't know of many ppl who get upset if u baked them a pie "to welcome them." Also, offer maybe to check her mail if she's away some weekends so u guys can watch out for each other. It makes it more neighborly.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 8:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I agree with mrsmom110. Provide a dumping ground for her butts and tell her you've purchased it for her convenience and to keep your kids from walking through the butts. Hopefully she'll take the hint...

If friendliness fails, talk to the landlord of the duplex.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 8:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• How about an empty coffee can near the garbage cans for her butts? Tell her that you put that there for her use. GL! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• People being careless with their butts always pisses me off....I wouldn't be nice. I'd tell her that we don't smoke and she needs to keep her cancer sticks away from my kids or I'll report her to the management, her landlord, or the police for littering. Thats just being disrespectful of your home and family.
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I'm just passive-aggressive enough to suggest picking up all the butts in a bucket of some kind and leaving that bucket on her porch with a note that says: We don't smoke, and would appreciate you cleaning your own butts up instead of littering/cluttering up our drive way.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would put a coffee can out and nicely let her know that everyone uses the can for the buts
    AllThatBabyJazz

Answer by AllThatBabyJazz at 12:06 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• Just ask her if she can dispose of them in her trash can. We had that issue with our old neighbors, they would walk past their driveway and ours just to throw them in our front yard! We never got them to stop, but we no longer live near them!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would ask her not to throw them on your side of the duplex, because your trying to keep it looking nice. If she doesn't like it, then I would talk to your landlord......if you own it, then I'm not sure what else you can do... :/
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 8:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I'd leave her a nice note explaining & take it from there.... if she doesn't STOP then she is an inconsiderate idiot.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would flat out tell her - or bring it up to your landlord.
    MommaSiete

Answer by MommaSiete at 11:17 AM on Jul. 13, 2011