How do you meditate?

Any advise for someone learning to meditate as a way to relieve stress? Is meditation purely religious or are there other things you can "meditate to"?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• You can focus on anything- a candle flame, a pretty stone, a flower. Pick something that won't cause your mind to wander. A picture, for example, might cause you to think about the the scene or person in the picture. So pick something simple. In a quiet room, direct your attention to the object. If you feel your attention wandering, draw your focus back. Control your breathing while you are focusing. Breathe in, hold, breathe out. Also, while you are breathing, let yourself relax with each breath. Try for a minute at first, then increase the time as you feel comfortable. These instructions are for relieving stress through focusing and breath control I'll make another suggestion in another post.

Answer by Bmat at 3:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Another method of concentration for stress control is to think of a place that you enjoy, the beach, along a stream, in a flower garden- something that has pleasant associations for you. Think only about this place. If you find your mind wandering, gently draw it back. Think about the sounds in the place, the breeze, the warm sun, the gentle clouds, the birds flying overhead, the fragrances, keep focused. Breathe slowly and let yourself relax. You should be sitting or lying down in a quiet, comfortable room. Visualize yourself in the pleasant place that you are imagining. Visualize a beautiful, serene, relaxed you. Breathe in. Breathe out.

Answer by Bmat at 3:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• A form of 'unguided' meditation is simply to sit comfortably and focus on your breathing- don't force yourself to breathe a certain way, simply put your attention on the way you are breathing naturally. The point of this meditation is not to 'take you away' to somewhere else, but to center you where you are at the present moment. A similar way to meditate is to chant a mantra (it may be devotional but doens't have to be- it can be anything.) Many people use 'om' as a simple mantra. The goal is to focus on the sound alone and clear your mind of distraction. Personally I find that chanting a mantra is an easier way to clear my mind than focusing on breath or guided meditation... I tend to use my breath to 'mini-meditate' during the day and a mantra for my actual sitting meditation.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Usually I light a candle or two. I like to sit on a chair, comfortably with my feet flat on the floor and my hands rested upward on my thighs as a sign of "being open to the divine". Then I close my eyes and take a few deep, slow breaths. Focusing on your breath sort of helps to get your mind off of those "need to, must, did I" thoughts. LOL. And don't think that you have to have a totally silent mind to meditate. Most ppl don't. It's okay to have a few thoughts enter into your mind. If they get too distracting though, just take a deep breath again and release the thought wtih your breath. It does take some practice but it's totally worth it. There are so many great healing benefits to meditation, not to mention your communion with God.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 5:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• There are also some really wonderful guided meditations out there. If you would like a couple I could email them to you. Just PM me if you're interested...

Oh yeah, one thing I always like to stress. Before entering into any meditative state, surround yourself with some form of protection. I always ask for The White Light of the Holy Spirit (which is simply God's love). You don't want to open yourself up to any negativity.

Many Blessings!!
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 5:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• To start, I focus on my breathing. In. Hold. Out. I use this as a "count to 10" when I am getting overwhelmed.

To reduce stress I use a visualization. It changes, but it's principle is the same. I'm by a stream. I can hear the water trickle. Smell the freshness. Feel the cool breeze. Taste the pine in the air (I try to utilize all my senses). Once I've established myself in the location, I take a handful of leaves or twigs or something that floats. I toss one into the stream for each thing that is causing stress in my life (and I say what it is) and watch it be carried away. Sort of a release of my stress.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 8:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2008