How do I help my 6 month old who just got the flu shot, and is all stuffy and coughing and un happy?

Siennasmama6108

Asked by Siennasmama6108 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• get a cool mist humidifier and put that in her room that might help with the stuffiness
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Cuddle with your baby, use a nasal aspirator and keep a wet wash cloth close to wipe away any yuckies (poor little noses can get raw fast if you are constantly wiping), use baby vicks, use the cool mist humidifier, Tylenol for infants if you think she is in pain....hold her, you have more power in your arms than you think! It might NOT be the flu shot, it might be just the fact that she had to have shots in the first place. You could also start your shower with HOT HOT HOT water and close the shower curtain and door so that your bathroom fills up with steam and then sit in there with her. The steam will help break up any congestion she has....
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 3:56 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• i dont give flu shots, i feel they are unecessary.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I doubt the flu shot had anything to do with it, it's not THAT common of a thing to catch! There are a million things going around right now.

The vaporizer is a big one, and you might want to try saline drops for the nose. Otherwise, just plan on doing nothing else for the day but doting on your little one. Snuggle up and watch some movies, I'm sure you could use the rest, too! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 4:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• humidifier, saline drops for the nose, nasal aspirator ... not much to do for the coughing, the baby just has to work it out of their system, it takes time for babies to heal because of their immune systems are still developing and getting strong. Hope your baby feels better soon!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 4:54 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• next time, dont give the flu shot its pointless.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the humidifer suggestions. Use saline drops and an aspirator but not too often.

She probably caught a cold before she got the shot. While the shot can make you feel a little less than 100%, it does NOT (canNOT) cause the flu. Anyone who tells you that it can flunked basic biology.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I work as a medical assistant, and even so, I wouldn't give a flu shot to a 6 month old. It sounds like he might have some small allergies forming due to the shot, which is normal. Ask your doctor if children's benadryll is okay.
    beforeyoureyes

Answer by beforeyoureyes at 1:24 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• ok so the flu shot is bad but freaking benadryl is ok?? lmao
    SavanaF.

Answer by SavanaF. at 1:07 AM on Nov. 25, 2010