annoying!

My DH loves to use baby talk with our 4 month old daughter. Yes, she loves it but is she going to learn to say "kookie ooga booga doo"?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• just because you talk baby talk to a baby doesnt mean they wont be smart! they will have an IQ!!! theres nothing wrong with it! yeah my kids had ppl speak baby talk to them they also know 3 languages, honor roll, and have a high IQ!!

IF YOU DONT MIND IT THEN DONT WORRY BUT IF IT ANNOYS YOU TELL UR HUBBY TO PUT A CORK IN IT LOL!
    Anonymous

• Um, baby talk ROCKS.

Just communicating with her at this age is more important that WHAT is being said.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I don't care for baby talk. My DIL's parents used baby talk with my granddaughter, and she had quite a bit to unlearn when she started talking. "Does her wants a cookie?"- *shudder*. Also, I didn't want the children to get in the habit to mispronounce certain letters. If they hear the correct way to pronounce them all their lives, it will be easier for them.

Answer by Bmat at 4:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I don't do baby talk. IMO, you are helping teach your child a language that doesn't exist.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 4:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My dh and I don't do baby talk. I find in utterly repulsive. My mil will, and she also speaks real slow, and uses real simple words, and everything is sing song-y and it makes me sick.

All 4 of my kids, the youngest being 2, speak very well, and know what I'm talking about. I talk to them with respect, and like they have an IQ. It doesn't do them any favors to talk to them in baby talk
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 5:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Just to be clear.. I never stated that talking baby talk means a low IQ. I personally like to talk to my children without "dumbing down" the conversation.
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 7:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I SWORE I was NOT going to use baby talk with my daughter. Well, I did! lol She's fine, I promise yours will be too!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I never did it with my boys and it bothered me when other people did. I just never saw the sense in it. I was worried about them doing it, and I can't stand when they use made up words for things. With me, they have to call everything by the right name! MIL lets them use the baby talk made up words and all that and it drives me crazy!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 12:54 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I've never allowed baby talk around my boys. MIL started that babytalk crap...I put my foot down and it stopped. I figured they were going to learn to talk and I wanted them to learn to speak correctly from the beginning...and not have to retrain them later. (it's not a "blankie" it's a "blanket" kind of thing)

My oldest was completely understood at 18 months...full conversations. He was "very advanced" according to his evaluators. My second has an advanced vocabulary but has articulation problems. My third has a severe speech delay and at 25 months is just starting to use phrases. I was told by their speech therapist (the youngest two are in speech) that if we had used babytalk, it possibly could be worse.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I HATE baby talk! I think it sounds ridiculous and serves no purpose. We've never used babyt talk to our kids. I have a friend that still uses baby words for things for her 2 yr old and it drives me crazy!! My daughter has been in speech therapy and I can't imagine what it would be like if we had used baby talk to her....she'd be saying 'dada' for the rest of her life LOL!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Dec. 18, 2008