If a fellow mom asked you for $20.00

to help them out and they needed to raise $900.00 to pay their electric bill or their electric was going to be turned OFF, would you be willing to help them? What about if they promised to pay you back as soon as possible? Keep in mind this is the Holiday season, though that really shouldn't matter. If not, why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Money & Work

• No I wouldnt help them bc I dont have the money LOL. And beyond that no again Id tell them to go to social services and ask for emergency help with the bill and to try to take a budgeting class.
    Anonymous

• She would have to have a lot of moms give her 20 bucks in order to pay the bill. How in the world did it get so high? I think I would have to know the person and there circumstances before I would give them any money.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 4:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• It would depend on the situation, my 2008 charity fund is pretty much tapped out now though, but if it was a situation where someone needed help despite working or trying to get a job and they didn't use drugs or alcohol or otherwise make bad decisions that led them to not being able to pay their electric bill, I would consider using money meant to raise my kids to help someone out.
    Anonymous

• I would want to put the $20/the money, directly on their bill. I would not just hand them a $20/money.

Answer by louise2 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• No, It is better to teach them to fish, $900 is a lot and it apparently has been building up for a few months. I know hundreds of moms here who work from home. And they all have computers or they wouldn't be here. There are so many companies that will pay you to work at home. Yes, we don't want' her electricity turned off. But we have choices, there are many agencies that will help you with the daily costs of living. There are businesses that will buy jewelry, 2nd hand clothes on consignment, sell your car, so many ways of creating income.
    nanaevelyn

Answer by nanaevelyn at 4:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Never 'loan' money. Not to friends, not to family. If you give them some money to help out make sure YOU don't need it. Expect to never see it again. If by some fluke you do. Great. I've been burned way too many times to loan anybody money.
    As for the specific situation. I'd have to know why it hasn't been paid for a while to up that high and other circumstances.
    Anonymous

• My answer is the same as mistynights, but i would be willing to help her because if i was in a situation like that i would appreciate help.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 4:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• i was just about to say...doing "business" with friends and/or family usually turns out bad! As far as "loaning" is concerned. Sometimes they take advantage of the fact that you "care about them" or love them or what not...

babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:53 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I've loaned a friend money.... and I whole-heartedly agree it can be a bitter reality. I had a friend that couldn't afford to pay rent and her car payment - so I helped her with rent. Then she went out and bought $200 bed sheets (she didn't have "enough" for rent, but did have some) ... when I questioned her choice she went off on *me* that it was none of my business how she spent HER money. I told her, when I just paid her rent, it felt like she spent MY money on new fancy bedding. I certainly won't make that mistake twice. It's unfortunately been my experience that at least half of people in a bad situation are in that situation because of BAD choices. (I realize that is not the case for everyone) Unless this "Mom in need" was someone close to me, or I was doing it to help her kids.. I wouldn't just randomly give a stranger money.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 7:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• That said, I have a friend in Houston that I offered to help her with Christmas for her kids. She and I have known each other before either of us had kids... I know they've had a rough time financially. She didn't ask for help - but I asked her if she would be offended if I sent some gifts to the girls instead of adopting kids off the "Angel Tree" this year we adopted their family. My Mom and I went in half way each when I told her about it... and we got a lot of nice stuff.. 3 presents for each girl, a new outfit (pants, shirt, fleece jacket) from childrens place and some pajamas for each girl. (She has three kids) I do believe in helping people :)
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 7:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2008