Can I start my 3 1/2 year old in pre-school after x-mas?

My little girl needs to be with other kids, she's an only child. Not only that but she started recently following me around, whining, not playing w/o me, not listening at all, etc... I guess these are normal things b/c everyone says it is. But I checked into pre-school in the fall and decided to keep her here w/ me, well im thinking that was a big mistake! She's here w/ me all the time, no family, no friends. We moved from our home and family about 4 months ago and she was acting a little crazy but for a few days she's been doing all the things I stated above. So do u think a pre-school would accept her halfway through the year? Also it would be nice if you could give advice on what to do with this behavior? Thanks!!!

Brit0385

Asked by Brit0385 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You'd have to check with the school about starting mid-year....Unless their classes are full, I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't take her. It's not a "true" preschool at this age, it's for socialization and getting used to the idea of going to school.

My middle boy is just turning three and we're starting him a couple days a week (we hope...depends on money) on the recommendation of his neurologist. (he's showing signs of PDD-NOS, but right now he WILL socialize and is learning so we need to try to continue that)

Part of what you describe is typical 3 year old behavior. Check with the school and see if you can start her. It won't hurt...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:31 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• i think they will im not sure tho her behavior is the terrible 3s lol
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 4:00 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• my daughter started pre scholl this past fall,and she was 3 1/2 i don't think you are going to have any problem
    oracao

Answer by oracao at 4:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I enrolled my son in Jaruary too. They will be able to help her with her behavior too, it's all part of their job. At my sons preschool, there were a few kids that were very disorderly in the Fall when I first looked into it (but decided to wait) now that I've gone back, just last week, the kids are doing much better, no longer out of control. They really know how to deal with that kind of stuff.
    momof30379

Answer by momof30379 at 5:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I started my oldest in school at 2 1/2. He went three days a week for two hours a day. Then when he turned 3 he went 5 days a week for three hours a day. He even took a bus. It was the best thing I coul do for him. Now 14 he is in 8th grade taking 9th grade Math and Science. They are very teachable at the younger ages.... go for it!!!
    threeBoysMommy

Answer by threeBoysMommy at 6:09 AM on Dec. 18, 2008