Taxis and Booster seats?

Why is not illegal to get in a taxi with small children and not use any kind of booster seat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That is a really good question. I believe if it a "car for hire" that it is not required. But of course it depends on you personally. Some of the better cab companies carry at least a booster seat in their trunk, or if you call the dispatcher for a cab, you can request one. Some have them and some dont. I do not believe the Van's usually do. I personally would travel with at least a booster seat (the ones with out the back) so that there is a little more like what the child is used to. Would hate for them to wonder why it is ok on Vacation but not at home.
    baquick

Answer by baquick at 1:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I'm pretty sure that because it is a taxi, you can ride without carseats. But that would depend on the state/city
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Interesting...I've never thought of that....
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 9:09 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• idk ....i wonder that too. maybe it's because there is a separation between front and back seats?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I have been in taxi's where they have a carseat in the trunk if you want to use it, but I would just put the seat belt around my kid, who was a toddler at the time
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 10:05 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Here in New York City it is illegal. The fact that it is a taxi does not negate the law.
    katiemomNY

Answer by katiemomNY at 10:48 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Just like a school bus not having seatbelts.
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 9:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2011