S/O: Why is it legal for people to drive motorcycles....

when people who drive cars have to wear seat belts so we don't get ejected or to prevent injury, but it's ok for people to ride motorcycles and get totally messed up if they get hit or spin out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Health

• Not messed up! DEAD!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 9:12 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Well where I live at least seat belts aren't 100% legal. Only those in the front seats and those in the back that are under 12 are required to use them. Also, children are required to wear helmets on motorcycles (I think). The reason motorcycles are legal is because there is no way to outlaw them. Too many people enjoy them. They can be safe. It is actually cars that usually hit motorcycles that cause bad accidents. Motorcycles that are crashed by the driver/rider are usually driven by someone who is not obeying the basic rules of riding. Just like with driving a car, there are basic rules to driving a motorcycle that must be adhered to in order to be safe.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• It depends on the the "idiot" on the bike and the "idiots" in the cars who dont pay attention. Some bikers ride like assholes, others drive very carefully and still get hit because people don't pay attention. I'm sure you know people who dont always wear their seatbelts.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• There's no seatbelts on busses either!! Maybe we shouldnt use them.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 9:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Motorcyclists need special licenses - it's not like any random person can just hop on one and go.
    Anonymous

• they really are death traps. i just found out a couple of days ago that a friend i went to highschool with died the other night after driving high speeds and getting ejected off his motorcycle. he was 25 years old.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I just kinda get mad because people who don't wear seat belts can get tickets and have to pay fines for not keeping themselves safe and people on motorcycles can ride around freely and put themselves at MORE risk than we do!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Anon, I know they need special licenses.....but if you do get hit, or if there's something on the road that makes you spin out or whatever the case, your basically screwed.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No you aren't OP. There is a lot you can do to protect yourself. Helmets are great. You can also buy special gear to help prevent injuries. They also make airbag jackets now as well.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• They need a special license and that are required to wear helmets....I guess they consider wearing a helmet about the same as wearing a seat belt? Even though that is obviously not the case. In any case I think motorcycles are sexy and I can't wait until we can afford one!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2011