Any good examples of an organized schedual with four kids?

I have four children 10 months-8 years old. No matter how hard I try to get in baths, dinner, story time, and whatever else has to be done. I always seem behind, stressed, and having to skip things ( like the baby's bath tonight). Does anyone have a good example of a night time routine when you have three, or more young children? or, is my life going to be zoo for the next 10-18+ years???

angelx3

Asked by angelx3 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• The most important thing in your schedule should be to be certain that you and your husband do not go to bed on the same shift. Never be alone in a room together. Schedule yourself so that you are up and working while he is sleeping and he is up and working while you are sleeping. This should help insure that there are no new additions to your already heavy load.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:27 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I think "organized schedule" and "four kids" are contradictory terms, LOL. My first 4 kids were about 2 years apart and life was pretty crazy for 10 - 15 years, Ha ha. Chaos reigns! Now our eldest has gone off to Uni but we have 2 more younger ones.

Our evenings do follow a pretty standard routine, though: DH cooks dinner and I serve it. We sit down and eat together with the tv off. Then I clean up, do dishes, then shower. As soon as I'm out of the shower I run a bath for the little one (she's 2) and get the 7 yr old in the shower. Then we relax and put something on the tv. Whenever the youngest is ready for bed, usually about 8:30, I get everyone to brush teeth, give the 7 yr old his medicine, read a story for the youngest ones, and put them to bed. I go to bed then too.

judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• In the mornings, I get up long before the sun, do a load of laundry, wash dishes, bring in uniforms and put them away, feed the cats and dog, make tea and coffee, take out the trash, and then start getting the kids up fed and ready for school.

After school there's another half-hour or so of "routine" which involves washing school uniforms, making up their lunch-boxes for the next day and putting them in the fridge, and getting them all fed their afternoon snack.

It can be hectic and there are times when "schedule" goes out the window, but I think you have to be flexible when you have a lot of kids, and just don't sweat the small stuff. Keep in mind what's actually important and what's not. :) Enjoy your kids!
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 9:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• school clothes out the night before. decide meals before its time crock pots are wonderful! if your children are old enough they can help clean up after meals i have my oldest does the dishes but she is 12, 1 does the table, 1 does the floor the youngest sits on the couch....thats a help believe me!
    age 5 and up if they know where their clothes are they can get themselves ready for bed. tell them if they want a story they will have to help a little or you wont have time to do it.
    momand4kids

Answer by momand4kids at 9:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2011