What can you tell me about nuvaring?

My dr just suggested that after I had a bad experience with depo, got pregnant with the pill, and am not dealing well with mirena. I have never even thought about the ring before because my sister had hers come out while she was doing the deed and it apparently looked like a game of ring toss....anyway I just wanted to know the good and the bad about it, specifically weight gain issues.

mitchellb

Asked by mitchellb at 9:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Health

• I never had any issues with weight nor with it coming out unless I was having a very hard bowel movement.

The only thing that I didn't like about it was it killed my sex drive. I don't mean that I wanted it less often, I mean that I never wanted it and I would do anything to avoid it. As soon as I took it out for good, in 2 weeks I was feeling like a sex starved teenage boy!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Hahahah....is it easy to put back in?
    mitchellb

Comment by mitchellb (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Very easy. it's about as big around as one of those gummy bracelets...like the breast cancer ones or live free ones but it's only thick like the power cord on a laptop so just like a big o-ring and it's really flexible.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would be so afraid of putting it somewhere that isnt the correct place or position
    mitchellb

Comment by mitchellb (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• It's really foolproof. It sourrounds your cervix and it can only go in so far.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Killed my sex drive too and made me have mood swings. Went back to normal when I stopped using it.
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• For me it was much better side effect wise then the pill since it was lower doses of hormones. As for placing it there is really no way to get it wrong since it is NOT a barrier method. As long as it is inside you it is placed correctly. My husband very rarely felt it when we did the deed, but if you are really worried about it becoming a game of ring toss then simply remove it before hand. The literature says you can safely remove it for an hour within a 24 hour time frame so taking it out for an hour while doing the deed is fine. I did however get my one and only vaginal infection about 4 months into using it. This is a documented side effect. I used it for 9 months before TTC.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:07 AM on Jul. 13, 2011