I need help teaching 4 y/o to ride bike and letters !! HeLP!!

I feel very frustrated right now.. I have been trying to teach my 4 y/o letter identification and to ride a bike. neither are going well.. With the alphabets, I have tried all kinds of games and activities but it just ends up in frustration on both ends. I will have him say, point to it and then repeat. 2 sec later if I ask him the letter, he doesn't know it! he does know a handful of letters, but I will point out "A" and then ask him where the A is and he won't know! With riding a bike, he is just not willing to really try, he just sits on it and after attempting to pedal one stride, he sits there and doesn't want to try anymore...he wants to ride like the "big" boys, but is unwilling to learn. it was the same with swinging on the swing. He still doesn't know how to swing and doesn't want to learn.. Maybe it is me and how I am teaching him..( i am frustrated right now, I am not normally this tense ) I see all these 3 and 4 y/o olds riding bike, able to write their names and identify most of the alphabet... I know it's not fair to compare, but I just to make sure my son learns what he needs so he can be self-sufficient and confident. Is there a book or technique some one can suggest to help me teach him? appreciate it :)

DIETITIANMAMA

Asked by DIETITIANMAMA at 9:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Try maybe videos that are songs with letters but not just the letters but it shows a cat dog etc... if he wants to try the big boy bike let him try and if he falls say thats y u need to learn on the little bike before u do the bigger bike
    momand4kids

Answer by momand4kids at 9:35 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I started mine on videos and books by the time they were 1. Comcast has a Baby Boost which included ABC, numbers, nursery rhymes, shapes, colors, etc. Both of my kids watched them and even ask now about watching it. Neither of my kids ride bicycles but that's only because of living in an apartment and not having storage for bikes right now. They do have a Smart Cycle that my ds is too short to pedal and my dd pedals backwards. lol. There are quite a few things that I see other kids doing that mine don't and there are just as many things that my kids do that others are able to do yet. Like my son knowing his alphabets & numbers before a cousin who goes to daycare/school. See if there are any video games that he likes. Mine love Vtech's Vsmile and Vreader.
    Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Try watching Wheel of Fortune every night, and letting him watch Word World on PBS. Both shows teach letters. He MIGHT also have dyslexia, I THINK the failing to remember letters from minute to minute is one sign. I would mention it to his doctor, or make an appointment to get him evaluated. ALL kids learn things when they're ready. Maybe back off and not "teach" for a few weeks and see what happens?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:02 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Skip the bike riding, he won't learn until he is developmentally ready. Letters, read to him and point out the letters. Point out letters while out in the grocery store, etc. What he is doing is normal, he is 4.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Maybe try a balance bike... you might need to look for a bigger one depending on how tall your son is. My son is almost 3 and he LOVES his balance bike... it's like a regular bike but now pedals and he can ZOOM fast!
    For letters we use several different methods with my son... we do have a video we watch together that teaches letters, we have flash cards and letter games (kind of like a memory game), we also play a few games online on PBS kids (Super Why - Alpha Pig has games that my son LOVES)
    Capital letters are easier... lower case all tend to look like "o's" so focus on upper case only for now. My son is much better at picking out a letter from a group of 3... for example, write out or lay out 3 letters and ask him to find the "W" and then I'll have him tell me what the letter is.... these methods have worked well for us... my son is not yet 3 years old and knows all of his upper case letters.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Baby einstein videos work wonders :)
    Kisha_1128

Answer by Kisha_1128 at 12:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Both skills are best learned when a child is developmentally ready to master them.

My DD wanted to learn to ride her bike last year. We took the training wheels off, started running with her on it pedaling, let go and she freaked out. She was terrified and asked to have the trainers put back on. She was 5 then. We gave it a rest. This spring we took them off again and within an hour she was riding like she's been doing it her whole life. She was simply ready. Learning to ride is *not* easy. It requires physical ability to balance and coordinate - it also requires confidence and faith. If he's *not* ready pushing it isn't going to make it a successful process. Just give him space and revisit it at another time. My son was 6 when he gave up his training wheels too. Of their friends- most were between 5 and 7 when they learned. There is nothing wrong with a 4 year old still needing training wheels.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Regarding letters - he may simply not have reached the cognitive stage where he's ready to master letters. My two did learn their letters early. However, letter recognition was a core component of our kindergarten curriculum and at least half of both my kids' classes did NOT know their letters upon starting K. They were not developmentally ready before. Don't stress over it - the more frustrated you get, the more frustrated HE gets which is counterproductive to the process. Just relax and let it happen. Expose him to letters in fun, relaxed ways WITHOUT the goal of teaching him. He'll get it when he's ready. If you're concerned, as the Pediatrician to rule out a learning disability as another poster mentioned. Otherwise, do what you've been doing WITHOUT stressing over results. Read. Play games. Expose him to letters. He'll pick it up without the pressure.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 12:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Here is what I did for letters, and now we are on to sight words. I found a very little done very well was a great thing. There are 26 letters in the alphabet so you don't have to get nuts with flash cards. Just like Sesame Street. Focus on one letter a day. Put it on the fridge, put the letter on things that start with that letter. Look for it on street signs, on things at the grocery store. Find the letter in storybooks at bedtime. Make a big deal about the letter at dinner by making french fries of that letter ( you have to buy a few bags or alphabet fries but they freeze) or put the letter on his sandwich or shape it out of carrots. Make the letter of the day fun in your own way for example on day 1, Make it fun and do it your way. Have a sticker chart at the end of the day to mark the completion of the day, or the start of the day. On the weekend review all 7 letters.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 1:00 PM on Jul. 14, 2011