Why do they keep doing this??

I am all about giving to the needy, dying children, and big on saving animals from cruelty but what I dont get is why women, who know they are sick and dying, have no food, and in general not in a good place, for the life of me I dont get why they have kids!! This mainly is happening in Africa and you have to know these ppl arent dumb and they know sex makes babies, and yet the women, even ones who have aides and know they are sick, have sex and bring a child into the world knowing they wont be able to provide for them or give them a good life!!! Has anyone else thought about this before???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Do you know what the rape rate is in Africa? I can't remember specifically but I do remember when I heard it I was like WHAT!!!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:06 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• They certainly don't have all the education or resources that we have. I don't think it's quite as simple as you're making it out to be.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I'm no expert but I once saw a documentary on why people keep having sex when they have aids. A lot of the women are raped there or "can't" refuse their husbands. The men also refuse to wear condoms. So its not exactly always their choice. Perhaps the better answer is to help the women go on birth control. Though it woudn't stop the spred of STD's or rape it would help reduce unwanted babies.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I kinda doubt they have the birth control, for starters. And like what was said before, think of how many of those women get raped.
    Hence high AIDS and pregnancy rates.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 10:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• they are abused and some rape is involved,, they don't hand out BC like candy ,,,,this makes me very sad that you would ask this,, when you have running water, electricity, good healthy food to eat,, and if you don't our system would provide for you..put yourself in the place of someone who probably was
    FEMALE circumcised
    TAUGHT to cower to men
    KNOWING they will probably get HIV \
    you sound very shallow
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Many of these women have absolutely no education and no right to their bodies. It's good to blame everything on the women though, because that doesn't perpetuate the terrible conditions that so many people are forced to live in. Maybe read an article about civil war in Sierra Leone and then see if you still think it's all the women's fault that these children are born.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Good to know you didn't forget to take your ignorance pill today! Wow!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• You are ignorant on this subject. I've been to Africa. There are SO many reasons, mainly rape, that this happens. It's also a lack of education, they also need kids to help with farming, think their child will earn money as a prostitute, don't actually care, can't afford birth control and some men have been told raping a child will keep them clear of HIV.

One side note: I was at an orphanage in East Africa and every child there had no parents due to AIDS. These were lucky kids with shelter, some food, little education but they were happy. It's just a part of life there.
    Anonymous

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics#South_Africa: It is estimated that a woman born in South Africa has a greater chance of being raped than learning how to read. One in three of the 4,000 women questioned by the Community of Information, Empowerment and Transparency said they had been raped in the past year.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap_percap-crime-rapes-per-capita: 1.19538 per 1,000 people in South Africa are raped, per capita.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 10:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I dont think they get a lot of chioce in the matter.
    Sarah961

Answer by Sarah961 at 10:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2011