My son had a nightmare!!!

My 3 year old woke up afraid in his bed. He had a nightmare about bugs. Since then he has been petrified of going back to his bed or some of his normal routines because he thinks he may or may have seen a bug near by.. Im trying to be as patient, and understanding as I can be, and I must admit it is a bit difficult... I feel a bit discouraged because I was enjoying his independence, and now he is back at square 1 in the bed with his dad, and I... How should I handle this?

Tasha555

Asked by Tasha555 at 10:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Maybe introduce a bit of magic bug repellent for the time being..(just a squirt bottle with some water(or fabreeze)) and squirt it before he goes to bed? Works for monsters should work for bugs too.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I second the magic repellant! Works like a dream!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• This is just like the monster in the closet or under the bed fantasy that many children experience. He is experiencing fears from his imagination. Solutions -- 1. no monster movies before bedtime; make the bedtime routine positive, put him to bed with positive thoughts. 2. Tell a story that involves the idea of thinking positive and only positive things happen. 3. Seek a counselor's help. Your child should not be regularly sleeping with either parent; this only reinforces the idea that there IS something to be afraid of! 4. Share what you do when you have bad dreams - we all have bad dreams, but the things on our dreams do not come alive in the day time and scare us.
    dreamalong

Answer by dreamalong at 2:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Thank you Ladies for your response.... It's a lil harder than to explain... My son was diagnosed with a speech delay... he is able to speak a few words, but just about understands anything.. He is currently seeing a speech therapist right now.. So getting him to understand about different fantasy's is a bit of a problem because he cannot respond back to me to let me know that he understands.... We noticed that even putting him to bed in our bed is a problem. He does not want to fall asleep on the bed itself he rather lay or rest on his father, and I until he falls asleep... He looks around on the bed afraid saying the word "Bugs".... I really don't know what to do. Iv e tried talking, and showing him by laying down on his bed that his bed is safe, but he just don't want to comply... He really is afraid.. It is really starting to bother me a great deal...
    Tasha555

Comment by Tasha555 (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If he understands you but just can't speak there are lots of great TV shows that show that bugs are really not scary. I know there is an episode of Cailous where Rosy is afraid of bugs and Cailou shows her how great they can be and another episode of Cat in the Hat that talks about ants. Perhaps you could educate away the fear.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• Thank You.....
    Tasha555

Comment by Tasha555 (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2011