Is this normal 3 year old behavior?

My son turned 3 back in May. He has no common sense whatsoever. Today I was giving him a bath and I went to grab the phone. In the 3 minutes I was gone he splashed water all over the floor. Later he threw a roll of toilet paper in the sink and turned the water on. He dumped his sidewalk chalk into his pool. I could go on and on but I don't want to make him sound like a bad boy because he is really very sweet and I love him to death. But I wonder if he is developing normally.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• So normal. Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh at my sons evil genius or be angry. We discuss why it was a bad idea and usually it doesn't happen again. Sometimes I find myself telling him not to do crazy things because you start to learn what little ideas are popping up as the why stage continues and develops. Example if you suddenly get 40 questions about cooking and how the stove works you best remind him to stay the hell away from it. LOL. Get it all on camera, you will laugh about it later.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 12:49 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• Yes, that is normal. Welcome to the world of boys!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:22 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I think it seems pretty normal. Don't leave him alone for three minutes in the tub.
    Anonymous

• Sounds like my 3 year old.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 10:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Yep, he is experimenting with cause and effect. If I put this tp in the sink and turn on the water, it will melt.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:24 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Boys are something aren't they? Completely normal!
    MommyofTwo331

Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 10:25 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Nothing really stands out but then again you cut your list short. If he can't seem to stay calm sometimes, I might worry but just keep an eye on him. If he doesn't respond when you talk to him or call his name, that's something to worry about.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 10:26 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Sound like a toddler boy experimenting.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• This is so normal. My boy does not turn 3 till October, and he is already like this. From ages 2-4 all parents are in for it; always something they are going to mess up if they get the chance to. I just try to keep certain things out of his reach.
    Amr1075

Answer by Amr1075 at 10:29 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• pushing limits, seeing how mom will react to obvious unacceptable behavior, vying for constant attention... sounds a lot like my 3 1/2 year old- just try to stay calm and reassure him that the rules are the constant and that you will love him regardless of what he does.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:30 PM on Jul. 12, 2011