Advice for calming an alarm clock kitty!

My son's cat is great for him, has tons of energy, plays like a dog with him(fetches, follows him around etc.) BUT she cannot sleep with him at night because she wakes him up, so she comes to find us, especially early in the morning. She will meow and dig at our door untill we are awake, and doesn't give up.

I've tried to tire her out at night by playing with her, tried a calming collar from the pet store(she got it off some how and chewed on it), if I lock her in a kennel at night she meows all night even if I giver her toys. I just don't know what else to do.

I think my husband is about to loose it. Any advice is greatly appreciatied. She can't sleep with us because she keeps us awake and is also a "licker".

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 10:34 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Pets

• We have one that was like this when we got her. After being here for about 6 mos she finally calmed down and is only wild until about 2 am where it used to be all night long. As she is getting closer to her 3 rd birthday and has been with us for almost a year it is getting better. Just be patient and it will get better I promise.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:40 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I am so with you on this one. Ours wakes us up at 6 everyday. luckily, DH gets up anyway.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:36 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• We've had her since last christmas and she is better then she was then...hopefully she get even better like you said as she ages. She is one of our rescue kitties, its funny cause our other rescue cat(who is older but not much) never comes out...i swear if she was the only one here you wouldn't even know we had a cat! lol
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 10:42 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I love cats but gave up on having them for this reason...they always want you to be awake on their time and that is never a good time because it's always to early. When my daughter was 4 we had a wonderful cat, you could do anything to it and it didn't care...but it had to sleep with her and we would shut the door and the cat would put it's paw under the door and shake it..this cat drove us to do something that we hated doing but had to...and it was to give it to the humane society
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 10:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My cats are like this.....only, they know how to open doors (we have lever handles, not round ones) and they will get in the room and claw the boxspring of the mattress. We have had to block it all off. They will knock things off the shelves to wake us up. If we lock the door, they will claw at the carpet in the corner of the door to get in.
    Cats are naturally nocturnal. Sad to say, it has never really gotten better for us. I just love my kitties too much to do anything except yell at them momentarily and deal
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I def couldn't handle that ~ kudos to you for putting up with it
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My husband stayed up last night(couldn't sleep) and he must have kept the cat awake as well..cuz she has been snoozing all day LOL
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2011