In home daycare or center ?

Why?

MrsLLove

Asked by MrsLLove at 10:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• I prefer in-home daycare. I have worked in a center, and frankly, it gets overwelming with all the kids. The ratio in TX is 4 kids per 1 adult, except in the baby room which is 2-1. ( I think) It feels more personal, and my provider is just amazing. She always has the children doing crafts, eveny my 1yr old. She has the older kids on reading and letters etc, even writting. She assists with potty training, sippy cup, etc. She remembers birthdays, (parent and child and sometimes siblings) and if she is able she may have your child make something. She always has crafts for all the holidays. it's the small touches that matter to me. I always know who will be watching my child. In a center, the teachers tend to change frequently, and frankly, the learning toys are sub-par most of the time, and there are just too many children in the centers. The in home centers have to live up to higher standards.
    baquick

Answer by baquick at 12:14 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I don't trust either. The in home may be bad because of the person not having proper training or licencing and the centers may be bad because of the number of kids they deal with. If i had to pick I'd go with an in home center and do lots of research before picking one.
    Grungalax

Answer by Grungalax at 12:47 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• NONE... I had my children in the intent to raise them, comfort them, watch them grow, and not miss out on their lives.... NOONE can care for your child the way you can... I would NEVER place my children in a daycare... only with my own family IF NESSACARY
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:21 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If someone wants to run a daycare, they can't just legally open their doors and say "come on in". To be licensed they have to follow ALL the rules the Day centers do, plus MORE! I have worked in a daycare, and after that expirence, I never will again unless it is the infant room. (Who doesn't want to play with infants that you can give back at 5PM?). In-home providers have to follow so many rules, regulations etc. My in-home provider is visited every 3 or 6 months by state for a home inspection (house alarm, smoke detectors, carbon monoxide etc) They also check to make sure she has no bugs, leaks, plumming issues, etc. She is visited every 3 months to make sure that she is feeding the children properly, and has to keep a chart on each child ( the center I worked in, it was only the infants we had to keep track of). She is certified for CPR etc. I ALWAYS know who has my child, there are no subs or new ppl. every yr she goes to
    baquick

Answer by baquick at 10:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• PT 2: Every year she goes to a week long State conference that updates everyone on new rules, and ideas for children.She is WAY more certified than any daycare teacher I have ever met. All this is required by state (at least in Texas) I interviewed SEVERAL places, with some idea of what I was looking for since I worked in one, and she was the most qualified provider. My provider is even the head of the local chapter fo in home providers. Not saying I enjoy my child in daycare, but we need to have 2 incomes. The economy has hit DH hard. (We even moved in with my grandmother, who is not the easiest to live with) BC I am a stay at home mom right now, and full time student, we had to pull my DS out of daycare. I can tell he misses the interaction.

baquick

Answer by baquick at 10:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• JoLee that would be the ideal situation. However not everyone has that luxuary. It may have started out that way but life changes and sometimes both parents need to work.
    MrsLLove

Comment by MrsLLove (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Jul. 13, 2011