Okay Mommy's out there.. I've been putting my son who is 19 months on the potty every now and then. Just this past weekend I do it as much as possible. I told my daycare to help and they said he goes pee and poop everytime he gets put on the potty. BUT at HOME he only goes poop. I let him run around without a diaper tonight and he pee on the floor several times and I rush him to the toilet. And he would never finish. Wondering what to do....HeLp!! :)

shantelgoetz

Asked by shantelgoetz at 10:51 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He is too young,, stop and give it a rest,, he should not be having to do things on YOUR schedule, but on his,, boys are hard, and he might even be 3 before he is able to grasp the concept,, stop training yourself,, and buy some diapers.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:57 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My goodness if he is doing it at daycare and pooping at home he is absolutely not too young!!! He is already showing signs of being ready. My son was easier than my second dd to potty train and he was in underpants by his second b-day!
    If he didn't mind peeing on the floor then put him in underpants. He will not like the feeling and likely only do it a few times before he starts to head to the toilete. I have trained many kids at daycare and in my home and at home I found it was very helpful to set a timer. I used the oven timer and everytime it went off we would go to the bathroom. If he put's up a fuss about the timer then don't do it for a while.
    But if you feel he's not ready to go in the potty then keep him in diapers but let the potty be available to him. Try sticker charts. Ds had one, everytime he peed he got to put a sticker on. Once he filled it up he could exchange it for a new toy or treat.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I don't think he's too young. My DD is 19 months and has been potty training for 3 weeks now. She always gets 2 m&m's for peeing in the potty and 3 for poop. She has had only 1 accident a day. I have heard to have him sit not stand at first, I don't know if you are? She knows she gets a candy if she pees so she tries real hard, even if she tries but just doesn't have to go I give her 1. I set my phone for every 30 min, then every hour, no she tells me when.
    Pamarita

Answer by Pamarita at 11:16 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• try this (it worked for my dd)..
    I started out one day with no diapers.. I had her sit on the toilet until she went (I got out books and games for us to play while she sat there and brought the potty chair out into the livingroom so she could watch a movie as well) when she finally went, I first let her play for 30 minutes.. then it was back on the potty until she went again.. then I added 10 minutes more to the 30 minutes of play time.. and repeated until she had an hour between potty and play time.. the next day I repeated.. and in 3 days she was completely potty trainded.. if you want more details feel free to pm me.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Give it time. I found it easiest to just potty train relaxed without stress or pressure... so continue to bring him to the potty, talk about the potty, praise when he does a good job but don't push it.
    It took my son several attempts to be potty trained... he understood the concept as long as I was on top of it (bringing him at regular intervals) but he didn't "own" it... he was just as happy to pee in his undies and didn't make any indication that he needed to go. For me anyway, it doesn't count as being potty trained unless they can indicate they need to go... YOU are the one who is trained, not them. My son wasn't trained until he was 2 1/2... prior to that he could stay dry all day long but I was the one who was trained, not him. KWIM?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:28 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My son was almost 4 before he was PT. Not becuase he didnt know he had to go but just becuase he refused to go in the potty. He would hide to pee or poop and tell me he needed a new diaper afterwards, so he knew he just didnt want to do it. No bribe worked either, not candy not stickers, not toys. When it comes down to it, this one is all his, he will when HE wants to. So just put him in diapers and keep the potty available to him, eventually he will want to go at home too.
    Eko

Answer by Eko at 1:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• well it's awesome that he's going at daycare. Why he wont go at home is a good question. Maybe they are more strict there? or maybe he feels embarrassed if he were to have an accident at daycare? Just keep trying with him. Maybe try to a treat for when he goes at home?
    Keep up the good work momma!
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 9:51 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My son was completetly potty trained at school about two months before he was at home. I think its the structure and peer pressure. Get a little timer and put him on the potty every 30 -45 minutes like they do in daycare. Don't get discouraged. Be very positive. Try to let him stand up to pee with a cheerio as a target--this might add some interest. Praise, reward and don't worry about the time line the absoulute worst thing you can do is pressure him too much, at this age he has plenty of time to get it right.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2011