My 3 year old won't eat!

I have been being really tough lately about him only eating at the table and not getting junk food between meals. I fix his food and offer it to him and at most he will eat maybe a handful of food. Its has gotten to the point I prepare lunch but I really only make enough food for me because I know he is going to refuse it and after I offer it to him I will eat it. Its a waste of food to make more. Is anybody else going through the same thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:07 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• Nope not now but I've been there. He will eat when he's hungry. I always make her plate and if she doesn't eat, I put it in the fridge. When she asks for a snack, I bring it back out and tell her that she can have a snack after she eats her food.

And, I only expect her to eat 1/2 of it. I was raised to eat all that was on my plate and now I have portion control problems so I eat off of a saucer to keep from feeling the need to 'fill it up' and then eat all of it beyond what I actually need
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I wouldn't worry about it, if he isn't losing weight. I am sure that when he is HUNGRY he will eat!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:08 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• my dd would do this (she's 3 too).. I think the heat plays a role too.. so what I do is I fix a plate.. I try to put four things on it.. a veggie, a fruit, a meat, and a side (pasta, rice, something like that).. The deal is she has to take a bite out of everything on her plate, and eat at least two things completely.. if she does and sits at the table throughout the meal she gets a dessert after dinner. (or a snack after lunch).. it seems to be working out with her.. it took a little bit to get her into the habit, but it seems to be working now.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• He definately not losing weight. He is 40 lbs.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:10 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• My daughter is doing the same thing. I always offer her a plate but i'm lucky to get a bite or two off of the plate. I figure she will eat when she gets hungry.
    jennerz

Answer by jennerz at 11:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• Yes, I have the same issue with my 3 year old. She seems to go in spurts though. She will go a whole week barely eating anything, and then one day she eats everything she can get a hold of. My pediatrician said she is a little small for her age, but not below average, and as long as she stays within the normal range, even at the very bottom of the chart not to worry about it.
    Marcibunni

Answer by Marcibunni at 11:13 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I have a 6 yr and when he was 3 his eating habits changed big time....I do not fight over food I do give him what he wants and as much as he wants. He has been underweight to the point of wic saying he should be on whole milk and a high fat diet. I have come to realize that he is a sensitive kid, he knows if an oreo is real or a store brand he knows just by smell if he will like it...kids are picky and cannot be changed and they will starve themselves if they want to. All I can say is do not make it a battle and take him to the store and ask him what he will eat. I have to do that with my son and he is not allowed crap unless he goes with his dad and he gives in.
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 11:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I also cut back on her milk intake.. I noticed she's drink sooo much of it that it effect her eating (she'd get full off the milk rather than her food).. so she gets a glass of milk in the morning, one after lunch and either milk or juice with dinner.. in between she gets water.. it helps a lot too
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:38 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• First question is; is he at the right percentile weight wise for his age and body type? If the answer is yes, he is eating but not when you want him to. First get all the junk for out of the house or hidden in you closet. Children have small tummies and quick-silver attention spans. So make the food quick and fun to eat. Carrot slices; apple slices and cheese are quick and easly. See if your 3 year old is interrested in making a sandwich face or car. Cut the shape out and spread with peanut butter and let you young artist decorate with some raisin, nuts even a few sprinkles of coconut for hair. Be sure you are ready to play too. Milk can become magic by adding a few drops of foor coloring of jam and stirring to blend. Regardless the rule is you do not have to eat but you will sit politely at the table until meals are done. Or a different modifiction is that you must take one taste of everything on you plate but one.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:38 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• He'll eat when he's hungry enough.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2011