Would you allow your 7 year old child to have surgery on her nose if she had a rather bulbous nose and was teased mercilessly for years by other kids and even adults ?

scissor

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in General Parenting

• No, surgery like that is for adults. Also any adults that tease a 7 year old have serious issues.
    Grungalax

Answer by Grungalax at 11:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• No- any judgements about plastic surgery aside, the fact that her face is not done growing and developing would be reason enough not to do a cosmetic procedure. Honestly if you look at my pictures at seven, I look very different from how I look as an adult. I would just work on boosting her self esteem and her comfort with her own looks... the sad fact is that kids will always find something to tease other kids about so helping her to cope with that is a far better 'fix' than going under the knife.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:18 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I would let her get the surgery. It is sad that you have to resort to that but it might give her a fair shot in life. I was teased relentlessly on a daily basis for several years for being ugly. Excluded from everything and even beaten up on several occasions. I often thought about killing myself. In my senior year of high school I got braces and had oral surgery. As a result of that my looks changed drastically. Life for me also changed drastically. People engaged me in conversation and included me. My opinion mattered. Most importantly, people stopped tormenting me. I finally had a fair shot in life.
    KareninTampa

Answer by KareninTampa at 11:37 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I think I would. I am against plastic surgery in general, but with the increasing rate of suicide by bullying I think I would consider it for my child. We would have a very long talk with each other and with a therapist before we made a decision, however. I think it is important to listen to your children's feelings and appreciate the levity of daily situations that they experience. No one should ever feel helpless over their lives, and I think constant teasing and bullying would destroy a young person's self esteem and have terrible consequences throughout their life.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:20 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I was picked on because of my nose and I would have loved to have surgery as a kid...I would not have the self esteem and people issues that I have now as an adult
    Anonymous

• Yes, I would definitely choose the surgery.
    GrammytoTrin

Answer by GrammytoTrin at 11:44 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• what does your pediatrician say about a surgery? Is it cosmetic or will it provide health benefits? How will a surgery affect your childs health in the future? As a child, I had crooked teeth, my parents for whatever reason failed to give me orthodontic treatment. I was constantly teased and can remember being rejected by boys as a teen, they would tell me, "You would be so pretty if you only had your teeth fixed". That hurt. Now as a college student with children, it has become a financial burden to pay for my orthodontist, but it is the best decision I have made and has improved my self esteem, my self perception. For the first time, I feel like people see me for who I am, not staring at crooked teeth. I finally feel "equal" to others, a Standard I never experienced for over 25 years. MOST OF ALL, HOW DOES YOUR CHILD FEEL ABOUT A NOSE JOB?
    megamomm

Answer by megamomm at 11:53 PM on Jul. 12, 2011

• I agree with the mom who said your child isn't done growing and she could grow into her nose in a few years. I'm not even sure if you could get a plastic surgeon to do a rhinoplasty on such a young child. If your daughter has issues with her nose when she's a teenager, then I'd consider it for her. In the meantime, build up her confidence by concentrating on who she is as a person, her kindness, strengths, and activities that she's good at.
    cege

Answer by cege at 12:25 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• No. God made her perfect in His eyes. Children tease & get tease. It's not the teasing that matters but how they learn to deal with it. Teach her to love herself as she is. When the other kids realize their teasing isn't bothering her, they will quit.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 6:41 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Yes.... If the nose was a problem and I knew that it would make her unhappy in the future.... I would allow it!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 10:19 AM on Jul. 13, 2011