AAP Guildlines

i often see in debates on CM "well the AAP says..." as proof that the CMer's option is the best (and sometimes only) one. however, i also see these same moms going against what the AAP suggests in another area. such as using the AAP's breastfeeding suggestions as fact, but being against vaccinating their child (which the AAP suggests). or using the AAPs suggestions on vaccinations as the only way but being against extended rear facing (which the AAP recently added to their guidelines).

if the AAP is a trusted enough organization that one feels their data is correct enough to use in one's defense of a child-rearing issue...then why do so few follow ALL the AAP guidelines? why would one trust the AAPs findings on one issue but not another?

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 11:58 PM on Jul. 12, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• what is AAP?
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 12:02 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Because they are guidelines, not laws? I never even thought to look up guidelines, I parented by what I felt was best for MY child. No one knows my child better than me. I got recommendations from the pediatrician, my doctor, my mom and other parents that I know. Some people follow the guidelines that they themselves agree with and not the ones that they disagree with.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• AAP is the American Academy of Pediatrics

• People do this for the same reason that some Christians want to pick and choose scriptures to follow.
    It is all about suiting our own needs or our own agenda
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 12:05 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• the AAP makes SUGGESTIONS.. based on what's best for babies and children based off research..

for example it IS proven to be safer for children to remain rear facing up to 2 years old ...so it's RECOMMENDED to try to keep kids rear facing until then.. HOWEVER obviously providing you have a car seat that meets the weight/height requirements to accommidate this, and so long as your child isn't overly tall or large, etc.

and breastfeeding.. it IS proven to be better for the baby to be breastfed for AT LEAST 6 months.. however it's not always an options, so obviously again, this is why it's just a recommendation.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:27 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• as for why we follow one guideline and not another.. well different beliefs, different situations, etc.. for example.. one person may be all for rear facing to age 2, but couldn't breast feed and the child could have allergies against the vaccines. so hence their opposing views on the AAP guidelines.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:28 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Because people cherry pick "facts" based on what they want to believe and only want they want to believe. I'm sure we're all guilty of it in one way or another. Just look how people pick out verses in the bible and totally use them out of context, but if you mention a verse that contradicts what they say then they quickly tell you that verse no longer applies or some other lame excuse.
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 6:53 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• sorry, AAP stands for the America Academy of Pediatrics.

i dont keep track of the AAP's guidelines either. in fact i wouldnt really know about them if i didnt see them posted on CM all the time. it just seems a little hypocritical to use the guidelines as facts to prove your side in a debate on one issue but completely ignore them on another issue. or worse claim that the AAP doesn't matter.
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 12:14 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i understand opposing views or not being able to follow the guidelines. i dont understand why some use the AAP guidelines as fact in debate when they themselves dont trust the groups guidelines in other areas. is it a trusted organization or not? can the AAP's research be trusted in all areas, no areas, or just the areas that one agrees with?

like how can someone put "the AAP recommends vaccinations so its best" but then turn around and say "i dont care what the AAP says about breastfeeding, they dont know what they're talking about". i see that attitude a lot (on CM & other parenting sites).
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 12:33 AM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I use those guidelines for my job working with parents and children each day. I do follow them with my child. I also will ask my child's doctor what the best practice option is in given situations that come up. I find the AAP's and other medical journals a good source of information.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:54 AM on Jul. 13, 2011